Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/25/2006 8:32:49 PM EDT
I bought a couple boxes of this stuff and other than it being a little smelly and slightly more smokey than other brands it seemed to work fairly well. Does anyone have any experience with the stuff. Unless I hear a serious reason not to use it I think I will buy a bunch more.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 6:04:57 AM EDT
[#1]
It's dirt cheap and works pretty well.  My patterns are spread a little wider than with premium brands.  I also use their 9mm, 7.62x39mm, and .380 ammo.  It's overall definately worth that money.  Better than wolf at the same price.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 9:12:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Great stuff, just know that if it is marked 2 3/4", it is really 3"

Something about the crimping.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 9:14:59 AM EDT
[#3]
i picked up some at the last gun show...  it was half of what i pay for remington buck.

i haven't used any yet.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 12:31:42 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I have several boxes of their 12 pellet, max dram 00 buck (not sure if they make other variants).  They will definitely put the hurt on anything down range.  The slightly longer shell reduces the magazine capacity of my M1 Super 90 to 6, which is kind of annoying.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 11:51:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Ive put about 200 rounds of it through my Mossberg shredding various objects without any problems.  I havent patterened it,  I just use it to blow stuff up.  For that it works fine.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 5:39:44 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

The kind I have is the see through plastic shell,and the end isn't really crimped.

It just looks like the end is lipped inward over a flat round piece of plastic!

If you measure it you will find it's 3 inches,but doesn't look like it folds out like a convetional shell does!

Am I wrong in assuming this(cause I have it loaded in a  2&3/4 only gun)!

Anybody know?

Bob
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 6:50:33 PM EDT
[#7]
It is pretty good stuff for the money. I find out a few years ago about the overall lenght of the rounds. I was loading up my new shotgun that says it holds 8 rounds and only got seven in it. I freaked out and send a E-mail to Remington about it. Then I was looking at the rounds and said damn that bitch is long, hell even my cat could see the longer hull.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 6:55:04 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The kind I have is the see through plastic shell,and the end isn't really crimped.

It just looks like the end is lipped inward over a flat round piece of plastic!

If you measure it you will find it's 3 inches,but doesn't look like it folds out like a convetional shell does!

Am I wrong in assuming this(cause I have it loaded in a  2&3/4 only gun)!

Anybody know?

Bob
Bob U will be ok. A chamber on shotty is longer then what is says it is. Now for feeding it in the 2 3/4 action might be a little problem but I dont no. the rounds are marked 2 3/4 so it better work.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 8:31:13 PM EDT
[#9]
The S&B shells (along with Wolf and Nobel, to name others), use roll crimping to seal the shell. They roll the lip of the shell onto a piece of plastic or cardboard to cap the shell. This is a cheaper way, and is used on cheaper imported buckshot.

Domstic buckshot(Win., Rem., Fed., Estate) uses star crimping. This process neatly folds the plastic on the hull onto the top of the payload, sealing it off. It takes a little more work, so it costs a litlle more. It also results in a shorter finished length, allowing maximum magazine capacity.

The important thing to remeber, these are both 2 3/4" shells. The 2 3/4 inch designation refers to the shells length after being fired. Take a fired hull of some domestic star crimp ammo and  an empty roll crimped import buckshot hull. You will notice that they are exactly the same lenght, and if you measure you will find they are both 2 3/4 in. long.

Shotshell length designations refer to the length of the shell AFTER being fired. Before being fired, domestic buck is sbout 2 3/8 in long. Wolf (roll crimped) is about 2 5/8 in long before being fired
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 1:32:58 AM EDT
[#10]
I've used that stuff for years and like it. Other then the things you mentioned it's fine. I've used it in my M500, 870 and 9200A1 for steel shoots and informal range trips with no problems.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 6:00:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Bullseye,

Thanks for the great info.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 7:08:49 PM EDT
[#12]
I've shot a bucket full of the #4buck 27 pellet stuff, bought it back when cabellas had it for $65/250, its not as powerfull as American made buck and smokey as hell,

but recoil is light and it throws a decent pattern out of a modified choke, pattern spread is close to an 1" per yard.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 7:33:19 PM EDT
[#13]
S&B Buckshot is crap.  It chronied at around 900 FPS compared to around 1290 for most 12 pellet 00 loads.  400 fps weaker at the muzzle (which is why it has such light recoil).  Also, it is THE worst patterning buckshot I have ever shot, bar none.  If you want a good deal on buckshot, but the new Noble Sport buckshot that AIM and Sportsman's Guide has.  It is cheaper than S&B, shoots at 1290 fps, and has great patterning.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top