Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2006 6:56:36 AM EDT
... I'm getting ready to pick up an old double barrel shotgun that needs a bit of stock repair - it's got a few cracks in the wrist area... In the past, I've performed such tasks by gluing them back together with a 2 part epoxy, then crosspinning them with some .040" brazing rod - with good success, I might add...

Here's my question: What will form a stronger bond, actual wood glue(like Elmers), or a quality 2 part epoxy???

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 7:39:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 9:03:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the input, ikor - it's apprecicated... In regards to gun oil contamination - I was already thinking along those lines, figuring that the epoxy would bond better in such a situation... I've got some Permapoxy(Permatex product) that seems like it'd be pretty suitable, but I'm all for listening to suggestions - after all, purchasing some top quality epoxy is a small price to pay, if it allows me to salvage this old stock... Thanks again,

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 11:45:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Another option for a stronger joint is to use brass stock pins.
These threaded pins actually pull the crack together with some force, making a much stronger repair:

www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=617&title=STOCK+REPAIR+PIN+KIT

These are the same type of pins used by the military to repair stocks.

You can also use long, thin brass wood screws.  In either case, the threads pull the crack together so tightly, often glue isn't even needed.

This makes a MUCH stronger, tighter repair than smooth pins.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 3:10:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the suggestion, DFW - I'll look into those pins...

- georgestrings
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top