Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2006 11:33:23 AM EDT
I'm wanting to shorten my barrel, but I still want a full choke. The cutts comp is going to add length beyond the 18"s, and having it tapped for chokes, or even buying the shit to do it my self is going to cost more than a new gun. I'm seriuosly considering cutting my barrel back to about 14", then welding the last 4 1/2" with the bead and choke back on. I've got a plan I'll bevel the enge where the lead will transition into the next tube, so there wont be a sharp endge, and I'll jig it all up before welding so as to get it straight.

Any one ever seen this done before
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 11:48:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I can't remember this ever being suggested much less done....

Your going to have a hard time getting it perfectly straight...even in a jig... then your likely to easily warp the barrel getting the penetration you'll need for a good weld... IF and thats big IF you jig and weld the barrel straight you'll still have to hone out the barrel if your weld was deep enough...flex hone maybe?

I would not even try this, spend the bucks and do it right.

John
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 11:51:50 AM EDT
[#2]
What about cutting my barrel of at an angle, like an AK slant break?

I guess I'm bored today, just need to keep my hands busy.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 11:56:05 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I guess I'm bored today, just need to keep my hands busy.

I want to see video of the first time you fire it please.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 12:09:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Nope I would not do that either... it's going to apply funky pressure to the wad as it exits... your pattern will likely be VERY shitty... now if you added the slant break to the barrel so it didn't touch the wad you should be fine.

"just need to keep my hands busy."

drink a few beers, beat off, anything but fuck up your shottyJohn
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 5:13:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 8:40:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I may be wrong, but this sounds like the worst idea ever.  Just my opinion but I would say hell no.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:34:28 AM EDT
[#7]
If you want to shorten the barrel and have a full choke how about installing screw-in choke tubes?  That way you have more versatility, and a shorter barrel.
Also safer to shoot.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:29:52 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

That begs a question then.  If Mr. BATFE Man decides to drop his 18" dowel rod down your slant-cut barrel, and you can see the dowel rod on the "short cut" side of the barrel, but it doesn't stick out past the "long cut" side of the barrel, is it legal or not?

Just curious.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:16:26 PM EDT
[#9]
you can buy the proper adapters from brownells for the diameter of the barrel. the best way is in the lathe then solder with high strength type solder.  the cage body will not ne a permanent part of the barrel if you  leave it as is.  if you do try, remove the bluing from the area to be soldered because it is a type of rust, must be clean and shiny bare metal. the adapter is about 3/4 inch that the barrel must fit into.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 11:47:27 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Nope I would not do that either... it's going to apply funky pressure to the wad as it exits... your pattern will likely be VERY shitty... now if you added the slant break to the barrel so it didn't touch the wad you should be fine.

"just need to keep my hands busy."

drink a few beers, beat off, anything but fuck up your shotty

John

Leave the hacksaw in the garage. Best bet is to send it off for "tubes".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top