Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2006 4:24:41 PM EDT
Alright, time to burn the gun budget a little more. My plan is for a tactical shot gun. I'm set on the Rem. 870. Here we go:
Used Rem 870 from local dealer (18/20)
Knoxx Sholder stock with pistol grip
Knoxx power pak system
ATI/Tac star side saddle (6 rounds)
ATI magazine extension
Saddle scope mount
Red dot reflex sight
new forend

Questions: Will the setup work? Looking to shoot buck shot, slugs and probably some "fun" ammo too. Looking to be able to haul lots of ammo on the unit. Will the saddle mount for the scope and extra ammo fit on the frame without modification? As far as foregrips go, I don't want one with a pistol grip but I am not sure if I want to shell out the cash for the surefire. Are there generic forefrips that will accomodate the side sadde? Thanks for the help witht the build, I'll post up pics and progrss as soon as its built!

~Chris
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:35:19 PM EDT
[#1]
No beamz!?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:42:42 PM EDT
[#2]
don't think it'll work or be practical?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:08:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Why not just get the 870P magnum.  It has most of the stuff you want it?

Max
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:13:03 PM EDT
[#4]
An 870p might be an option, but this is kind of a budget build right now. I'm shopping like mad for the best prices on the parts. Can someone lend some insight as to whether or not the scope mount can be co-mounted with the side saddle?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:29:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Look at Mesa tactical.

I wish I would have before instaling a Tac Star saddle.

Shotforce makes a nice collapsable stock.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:35:11 PM EDT
[#6]
ATI mag extension totally sucks! It's plastic and it crushes when you tighten the clamp, then the follower gets stuck in the crushed area.

Get either a tac star or choate extension.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:12:08 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Alright, time to burn the gun budget a little more. My plan is for a tactical shot gun. I'm set on the Rem. 870. Here we go:
Knoxx power pak system
ATI magazine extension
Saddle scope mount
Red dot reflex sight
new forend

Questions: Will the setup work? Looking to shoot buck shot, slugs and probably some "fun" ammo too. Looking to be able to haul lots of ammo on the unit. Will the saddle mount for the scope and extra ammo fit on the frame without modification? As far as foregrips go, I don't want one with a pistol grip but I am not sure if I want to shell out the cash for the surefire. Are there generic forefrips that will accomodate the side sadde? Thanks for the help witht the build, I'll post up pics and progrss as soon as its built!

~Chris

Price some of the Police and Tactical models first; you might get closer to your goal and spend less money.  A SpeedFeed pistolgrip buttstock w/R3 pad will dampen recoil equally, plus you can add an ATI shellholder to it.

Avoid the ATI mag extensions for all the reasons listed; they are garbage.

I'm not sure that the sidesaddle and scope mount can be mounted at the same time, if I understand what you are referring to.  If it's not impossible, it will require heavy mods.  I don't care for sidesaddles anyway; they add too much weight forward of the pistolgrip, throws off the balance of the whole ensemble.

The build you describe is going to be a very heavy gun loaded, uncomfortably heavy.  The weight and bad weight distribution may make it hard to balance and effectively and reliably hit your targets.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 4:19:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks 2guntom! I am going to not get the side saddle at all. But I still have a hardon for the knoxx stock. We'll replace the ATI extension with a choate one.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 8:34:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
GREAT Choice!
Go for the SpecOps...  You will NOT be disappointed.
Knoxx power pak system
Another good choice for extra storage of ammo and various other items.
You do NOT need the Power Pak and a Side Saddle...  Besides, it won't work with the saddle scope mount.
ATI magazine extension
Total crap...  Get a Choate.
Saddle scope mount
Could be OK but I'd recommend having the receiver drilled, tapped and adding a scope base.
Red dot reflex sight
Maybe, but it isn't really needed.  You're never going to engage anything at a distance greater than 80-100 yards.  I would recommend ghost ring or rifle sights instead...  Money well spent. *The saddle scope mount will NOT work with either of these sights, however.  You would NEED to add a scope base*
New forend
Best investment you can make is a Surefire forend.  If you plan on using this for home defense, you NEED a light.

Questions: Will the setup work? Not completely.  Looking to shoot buck shot, slugs and probably some "fun" ammo too. Looking to be able to haul lots of ammo on the unit. Will the saddle mount for the scope and extra ammo fit on the frame without modification? Read above.  As far as foregrips go, I don't want one with a pistol grip but I am not sure if I want to shell out the cash for the surefire.  The Surefire does NOT have a pistol grip.  You wouldn't want one with the Knoxx stock anyhow as it will negate the recoil reduction.   Are there generic forefrips that will accomodate the side sadde? Yes, Choate, Etc.  

Link Posted: 4/9/2006 8:57:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Thanks 2guntom! I am going to not get the side saddle at all. But I still have a hardon for the knoxx stock. We'll replace the ATI extension with a choate one.

Those Knoxx stocks do look very, very cool.  I'd really like to try one, but at $80 - $100, I can get a Sims LimbSaver pad for $20 - $30 and get the same recoil dampening.  One of these days, I'll get one.  The CompStock would be a good possibility on this gun

This is my "minimum" 870.  Notice there is no mag extension or side saddle.  There is a shell holder on the stock; it seems to add good counter balance.  That's an 18" barrel.  I was wanting it as small and light as possible.  I used the ATI stock, but I would prefer a SpeedFeed IVs w/R3.  I had to add a slip-on LimbSaver pad to that ATI stock to dampen recoil for 2 3/4" "magnum" Buckshot loads.

This is my "maximum" 870

That is a 20" rifle sighted barrel w/screw-in chokes, Choate 3+ extension, ATI stock w/LS pad, SpeedFeed forend...  Yes, those are 3" shells in the stock mounted shell holder, and the gun (mag tube + extension) holds 7- 3" shells.  Fully loaded that is one heavy mother puppy.  It's not too heavy, but it is right at the limit.  A sidesaddle (it did have one previously) adds too much forward weight and you can't keep it on target.  As it is, the weight and the LS pad allow me to shoot 3" shells comfortably, including slugs.

I've run my "maxi" 870 through many configurations, and I had to learn the hard way what works, and what didn't.  I hope I helped you saved some money and weight.

Make sure you post some pictures and tell us how it goes.  Keep us up to date.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:28:05 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Those Knoxx stocks do look very, very cool.  I'd really like to try one, but at $80 - $100, I can get a Sims LimbSaver pad for $20 - $30 and get the same recoil dampening.

I respectfully beg to difer...  There is nothing on the market that reduces recoil like the Knoxx SpecOps.  The LimbSaver is nice but isn't even in the same league.
Knoxx SpecOps - 90-95% reduction
LimbSaver - Over 50%
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 11:10:27 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Those Knoxx stocks do look very, very cool.  I'd really like to try one, but at $80 - $100, I can get a Sims LimbSaver pad for $20 - $30 and get the same recoil dampening.

I respectfully beg to difer...  There is nothing on the market that reduces recoil like the Knoxx SpecOps.  The LimbSaver is nice but isn't even in the same league.
Knoxx SpecOps - 90-95% reduction
LimbSaver - Over 50%

Heh, you may be right.  I've only got realtime experience with the LimbSaver.  I've never owned or used anything from Knoxx.  I was also looking at a particular Knox stock www.knoxx.com/NewStyleKnoxx/Products/Compstock.htm  .  It says "...absorbs more than 54%..." for the CompStock.  I can't find the claimed percentage for Sims, but I remember it being 58%.  I guess I'm going by my LimbSaver experiences, and the advertising hype from both companies.

I was in a conversation not long ago about Knoxx stocks ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=1&t=197120&page=1 .  After reading the technical stuff on the CompStock, I was concerned about the stocks movement/compression under recoil impulse.  www.knoxx.com/NewStyleKnoxx/TechSupport/Comptech.htm  (read the second warning).  I tried to get CaCrusin engaged in a conversation about the spacers to adjust the length, but didn't get a reply.  

I'm going to have to try a CompStock to see for myself.  I'll have to get some dialogue going with Knoxx first though.  That stock has got to fit me; if it doesn't, I'll end up driving my thumb into my nose... and they'll get their stock back in tiny pieces.

edit-

I went back and looked at the SpecOps...95% recoil reduction?!  Holy crap!  I had disregarded that stock because I don't care for AR-style stocks on shotguns, but I may have been entirely wrong!

dxdgenert, do you have a SpecOps on an 870?  If so, can you remove the trigger guard with this stock attached to the gun, or do you have to remove the stock to get the trigger guard out?

Do tell!
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:49:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah sir!!!  I LOVE the SpecOps...  If this thing doesn't reduce 90% of the recoild, I'd be suprised.  You CAN fully take down the weapon with the stock attatched...  If you couldn't I wouldn't have purchased, as this is a duty weapon.  I cannot possibly say enough about this stock.  I'm sure that it would fit you as it has several positions that it can be locked into.  Let me know if you have any more questions.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:47:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Full take down with the stock attached?  What more could a guy ask for?!

Thank you very much for the reply.

My attempt at a compact, lighter 870 had a sideline agenda- I wanted something that would universally fit me or my wife and that is quite a task.  To get a stock to fit her, I had to remove 1 1/2".  To fit me, I add 1".  It looks like the SpecOps has all the room to adjust that we both need.

Thanks again for the reply.  
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 3:57:52 PM EDT
[#15]
crashed my bike today! I seperated my Right AC joint. SO no more shotgun for a month or two
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:20:57 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
crashed my bike today! I seperated my Right AC joint. SO no more shotgun for a month or two

Oh, crap!  I know you are typing and posting, but are you okay?!
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 4:49:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Yeah I'm OK. A little road rash where my jacket rode up. I was wearing all my gear so it wasn't horrible. I right shoulder is DONE for right now. I have to get clearence from a docctor before they will let me go back on duty. Damage to the bike was minimal. I rode it home afterwards. Ahh well lesson learned. I may sell off the bike and buy some other toys......
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 7:42:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Glad to hear you're alright.  I used to have a thing with 2-wheeled vehicles- I crashed every one of them.  Now, it's 4 wheels and metal all around; haven't crashed a one.

I hope you heal quickly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top