Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/7/2006 5:25:33 AM EDT
I have a Rem 870 which I would like to try for 3 gun competion. I would like to get a shorter barrel, so what is a good choice? Should I get one that takes Rem-choke tubes? How about ghost ring sights- can most barrels be fitted with these?  Thanks for any thoughts on the subject.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:02:08 AM EDT
[#1]
If you are using a 4rd mag extension a 22" barrel will have the same length as the mag tube. Looks much better than a mag extension that is longer than the barrel. I would recommend ether a barrel with a fixed improved cylinder (Remington Police 20” barrel) or a barrel that will accept Rem-Choke tubes. Sights? I prefer rifle sights but a vent rip barrel can easily be upgraded with some kind of rifle sights (Tru-Glo). I don’t like Ghost Ring Sights on a shotgun.
Hope this helps.

Walli
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:03:44 AM EDT
[#2]
If you are looking for shorter, go for one of the 20" barrels with the rifle sights. Mine has the improved cylinder choke, and it's just the ticket to be able to shoot slugs accurately and still also use it for shot. I'll post pictures of it tonight when I get home from work.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:05:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, guys, for your replies. How short can you get a barrel that takes Rem-chokes?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:18:25 AM EDT
[#4]
20" I believe
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 1:33:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Yep, I've posted this a couple other times but the shortest barrel that will accept Rem"choke is 20 inches with rifled sights...  Hold on a sec...  Part Number is 24549.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 1:35:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Should have added...  Here is a crappy picture but you can see what it will lokk like on an 870 with Choate 8 shot mag. extension.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:47:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Here's mine... previously a shotgun belonging to Arizona DPS, I picked it up cheap and applied some Duracoat:

Before:

After:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top