Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/3/2006 2:34:30 PM EDT
 I want to pick up some buckshot and found this for under 2.50 a box. I can also get the Fed low recoil for about the same price. Which one is best ?
Thanks
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:42:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't give two craps for reduced recoil anything.

If I shoot to stop, I'm going to make sure they are stopped.

000.  It's the other white meat.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:25:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Federal 00 Tactical has been the most accurate buckshot in all of my guns, with TAP 00 red hull being second or even. Shotguns are picky beasts and while one 870 may shoot Federal extremely well, your identical 870 may not. Buy a few boxes of both and pattern test them, buy the one that patterns the best out of your gun. Low Recoil loads are the best choice for HD use. Shotguns don't rely on velocity for wounding like a 5.56 round and a reduction in muzzle velocity doesn't make much difference in terminal performance. It also reduces the chance of over penetration as the shot isn't moving quite a fast. These rounds also allow for more accurate shooting and faster follow up shots. The difference in terminal ballistics between a standard and reduced recoil shell will be negligible. Hopefully, you are shooting a pump not an automatic. Some automatics don't cycle reduced recoil shells, so a lot of testing must be done. Federal Tactical is the gold standard for buckshot accuracy, but I have found TAP to be just as good. Remember, every gun patterns differently and pattern testing is the only way to tell.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:12:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:37:18 PM EDT
[#4]
The Blue TAP stuff patterns better out of my shotgun. I have some of each. They're both good.

http://www.northwestloading.com

Has some pretty fair prices on buckshot.

Sam
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:25:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Hornadys little shot cup is a nice addition. I need to find some reduced recoil as the light mag. loads are too much recoil for me. Really tight patterns. -Justin
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 2:22:14 PM EDT
[#6]
From Tactical Forums Terminal Effects board.  DocGKR likes it.

Hornady "Tactical" 12 guage?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top