Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/3/2006 10:48:02 AM EDT
I currently own a Mossy 590, and I have decided to go the SBS route.  I already have a SBR and am aware of all the legal procedures so the only decision left is what shotgun to use.  Is there a dealer somewhere that sells 500/590 14" barrels?  Should I buy a 6 shot barrel and chop it?  Should I just buy another shotgun to register and chop?  Who builds SBS's? (OTHER than Wilson/Scattergun, they are WAY overpriced IMHO)  What other recommendations does the hive mind have?

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:42:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:52:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Cut the barrel,  Just get an 18.5" and cut it down

Both Mossberg and Remington make 14" barrels for their guns, but finding them is almost impossible, and the one place I found a 14" for an 870 it was like $300.  Definately not worth the money.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:17:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Just had a local gunsmith cut, crown, & refinish my 870 barrel down to 14" and he charged me $30.  I don't plan on getting rid of this shotty but if I did a new 18" barrel wouldn't cost me much to put back to original configuration (I would also have to remover it from the NFA registry).  $30 is nothing compared to what Remington wants for a factory 14" if you can find them.  You still have to pay for the tax stamp regardless if you cut your barrel or buy a short factory barrel.

I say CUT IT.

MadDog
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:10:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Go see the guys at
www.ironridgeguns.com
they do a shit ton of SBS. great stuff see the 7kopper SBS. or give them a call they will lend you a hand on your deal. have fun.b
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top