Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2006 9:37:59 AM EDT
Just purchased a Remy 870 Tactical  with pistol grip, bead front sight and 18.5 in barrel.  Took it to the range today and had the following problems:

1) Failure to extract 1 time
2) Stove piped 3 time with 2 3/4 in buckshot
3) Seems to shoot point of impact with Breneke slugs but shoots high and to the right with buckshot.

Any theories as to what the hell is going on?  My Mossberg 590A1 does not have any of these issues.  Was going to use this for HD but cannot trust it.  Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:54:44 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Just purchased a Remy 870 Tactical  with pistol grip, bead front sight and 18.5 in barrel.  Took it to the range today and had the following problems:

1) Failure to extract 1 time
2) Stove piped 3 time with 2 3/4 in buckshot
3) Seems to shoot point of impact with Breneke slugs but shoots high and to the right with buckshot.

Any theories as to what the hell is going on?  My Mossberg 590A1 does not have any of these issues.  Was going to use this for HD but cannot trust it.  Any thoughts?

What type/brand of buckshot were you using?

Are you slow-stroking the action?  A pump is designed to be cycled briskly.
FTE- did the bolt open but the shell was still in the chamber?

I know I'm asking a lot of questions, but since I wasn't there I need more info before I can offer much help.

Inspect the barrel.  Look for anything out of the ordinary.  Inspect the muzzle crown.  It should look the same top to bottom, and side to side.  If it is higher/lower on one side compared to the other it can change your point of impact.  Since the slugs were okay, it kind of looks like the ammo could be to blame with the info offered.

The other question, is this a new gun?  If so, Remington will be more than happy to help make this right.  If this is a used gun, there might be a broken or gummed up extractor, broken ejector, and maybe some wad fouling or buildup/rust/pits in the barrel.

A little more info, and we'll take it from there...
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:19:52 PM EDT
[#2]
+1 to two gun tom's questions.  If slugs are hitting at POA and buckshot is not, I'd try three or four different buckshot loads from different manufacturer's before I blamed the weapon.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:52:06 PM EDT
[#3]
On extraction/ejection problems with NEW guns:

Clean the chamber.  
A good many of these problems mysteriously go away once the chamber is given a GOOD scrubbing.  If necessary, buy a special chamber cleaning brush.  Bore brushes don't do it.

Check/clean/lube the extractor and its spring and plunger.
Check to insure the assembly moves freely, and has sufficient spring tension.

Try different ammo.  A lot of problems with new shotguns are ammo related.  
Not all guns "like" all ammo, especially budget priced ammo.

Check the ejector in the left receiver wall to insure it's OK.

Give the entire gun a GOOD cleaning and re-lubing to remove the factory's usually dirty lube, and any grit or metal shavings left after manufacture.

Give the gun time to break in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top