Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/30/2006 5:45:25 AM EDT
OK, I tried to search this and can't find an answer.  How does one get that slotted nut off to remove the forend?  Is there a tool for this?  I tried jamming a screw driver in there w/o success.  Thanks,

Jake
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:53:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:23:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the hint.  I don't think that will work on my 870 wingmaster.  The threads extend above the nut so the slots are way down the threaded tube.  The drill bit would not be able to catch them.

Jake
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:35:52 AM EDT
[#3]
needle nosed pliers.

some may nay-say, but it worked for me
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:44:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Screwdriver and hammer for me.  Tapped it off, then tapped it back on.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:59:28 PM EDT
[#5]
The safest way is to use a special spanner wrench.
You can buy these from Brownell's or Midway.
Unfortunately, these are rather expensive for a one-time job, so......

Check your local gun stores.  Very possibly one of them will have a wrench and either do it for you, or rent/loan you the wrench.

In not, MAKE a simple tool.  You can use some 1/8" flat plate steel or even aluminum to saw and file out a simple spanner to fit the notches.  Use some Vise-Grips to turn it.

If you try the pliers trick, BE CAREFUL....one slip and you'll do serious damage to the thin action bar tube the nut screws on to, and have to buy a new assembly.

If you have the cash, buy the tool, use it, then sell it on Ebay or on the gun forums.

Best bet: Other than a local gun shop having one, is to make a simple spanner from plate stock.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:52:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the helpful advice.  I tried the screwdriver/hammer method w/o success.  I ended up ordering this:

Brownells

Jake
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:06:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like you're trying to remove the fore end with the assy still on the gun.  If you remove it from the magazine tube there's more clearance.  Also for others looking for the tool, ask around to who has a Surefire fore end, they come with a tool.  Might find someone who'd loan theirs out.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:41:14 AM EDT
[#8]
How does one separate the magazine tube from the foreend w/o removing that nut?  I'll look at it again.

Jake
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:20:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm trying to remember how it comes apart without taking mine apart:)  I remeber it was pretty self explanitory.  IIRC remove the barrel, remove mag tube cap, then after doing something I forgot, the bolt and fore end assy will come right out.
I hope this makes sense.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:38:06 PM EDT
[#10]
With the barrel removed and the forend in the furthest forward position. Go through the ejection port and gently pry in the action bar legs.  The action bar should then be able to slide off mag the tube.Then you will be able to access the forend nut better. I hope that helps.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:41:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:57:31 AM EDT
[#12]
I had a buddy who was an armorer for his PD.  He met me at the range once and loaned me the tool.  It took all of about 5 minutes to complete the job with the right tool.    
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 2:07:38 PM EDT
[#13]
There is a steel tool that spans the gap between the driving slots on the forearm retaining ring.

HOWEVER, a paddle wood bit (forgot if it is 1 1/8" or 1 /1/4") will drop into the front of the handguard and spans the gap of the retaining rings PERFECTLY and can be used to take off the wood hand grip without damage to the forearm.

You can take the completed forearm (including the action bars) to nearly any hardware store.  

Look at the bits and you will see the right size that drops down the front of the forearm. (again either 1 1/8" or 1 1/4" sorry my brain has faded!)

Simple "Hill Billy Gunsmithing" but it WORKS!

Give it a try.

If you need the tool, I have one I'll loan you if you are up for postage there and back!

B.T.W. to remove the forearm, take off bbl, take out mag spring and follower.

Flip over shotgun, and press on the right and left shell stops (not on the action bar legs!  (The shell stops are inside the receiver - these are the "nubs" that fit to both sides of the magazine tube - just press in on each side and the assembly will move forward bit and bit until free) and the forearm will then slide forward and off.  Be sure to catch your bolt and carrier as they will drop downward due to gravity.

E-Mail me if you need the tool!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top