Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/30/2006 4:45:34 AM EDT
Alright.  In a previous thread we determined that the m1s90 is most likely the fastest semi, and if it isn't, then it's the coolest.

So, I bought one.

Now:

What upgrades do you guys recommend.  If you haven't checked in on the "which is the fastest semi shotgun" thread, I want a shotty that will absolutely decimate ammunition stockpiles.  

This sucker must SCREAM

-Matt
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:10:18 AM EDT
[#1]
no upgrades or doo dads.....the M1 doesnt need it....and it can screw up its fuctioning if you start to weight it down with side saddles and such.....only thing I have added to mine was a uncle mikes neoprene shell holder on the STOCK
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:13:49 AM EDT
[#2]
The Benelli is not the fastest shotgun out there, a bit of marketing has helped pervade that.  The Benelli is not mechanically capable of firing faser than .13 second splits, the reset time between shots.  Any faster and the hammer will follow the bolt and you will have a misfire.

The Browning A5, Gold and Winchester SX2 are all faster mechanically than the Benelli.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:16:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Congrats on the new Benelli

They are THE BEST semi auto shotgun IMO.

Don't know if they are the fastest shotgun or not, what I do know is I can not shoot my A5 as fast as my Benelli. Also my Benelli M1 "Practical" is faster than the M1 Super 90 and SBE.

As for upgrades:

Sling
Extended Tube
Ammo
Taget/Clays
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:16:27 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Congrats on the new Benelli

They are THE BEST semi auto shotgun IMO.

Don't know if they are the fastest shotgun or not, what I do know is I can not shoot my A5 as fast as my Benelli. Also my Benelli M1 "Practical" is faster than the M1 Super 90 and SBE.

As for upgrades:

Sling
Extended Tube
Ammo
Taget/Clays

I think he stated he HAS the ammo to get rid of so... more clay targets lol
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 11:57:30 AM EDT
[#5]
As said above, you really don't want to hang a bunch of crap off of it........it could cause cycling "issues".
However, I've got a side saddle full of 3" slugs on mine and she purrs like a kitten (mine's an early HK marked, circa '90 or '91).  When you add a side saddle, AND a surefire, AND an "uber-tactical" sling, AND......etc..., you might have "issues".  
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:16:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
As said above, you really don't want to hang a bunch of crap off of it........it could cause cycling "issues".
However, I've got a side saddle full of 3" slugs on mine and she purrs like a kitten (mine's an early HK marked, circa '90 or '91).  When you add a side saddle, AND a surefire, AND an "uber-tactical" sling, AND......etc..., you might have "issues".  

I dont want any external crap on it.  I was getting at internal mods.

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 1:03:38 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I dont want any external crap on it.  I was getting at internal mods.

Have the bolt lightened.  This removes about 2-3 ounces from the bolt and allows it to cycle faster and shoot lighter loads with more reliability and less felt recoil.  Less mass to overcome in recoil and less mass impacting the rear and into your shoulder.

Lengthening the forcing cone is something that is done on a lot of shotguns to great effect, but it doesn't seem to do much on a Benelli.  Not worth it.

Also consider having the thumb notch in the shell carrier welded up.  This is not unique to Benellis, but it's called "Benelli thumb" when you load a shell, push it passed the stops with your thumb only to have the carrier ride up to your cuticle because of the relieved notch and tear it up.  Cheap fix that makes reloading faster and smoother.

There are lots of spring fixes, but too many to post here.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:37:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Good choice, ggllggll- I love mine!  With light loads, I found it was possible to fire faster than it would cycle and get jammed up but it didn't take long to get in the rythm of things and stay in the sweet-spot.  With buckshot and slugs, I still need more practice to keep up and stay on target.

Quoted:

Also consider having the thumb notch in the shell carrier welded up.  This is not unique to Benellis, but it's called "Benelli thumb" when you load a shell, push it passed the stops with your thumb only to have the carrier ride up to your cuticle because of the relieved notch and tear it up.  Cheap fix that makes reloading faster and smoother.

The first time out with my M1S90, this was the only thing that gave me grief (I was used to my 870). Subsequently, I've found using a lightweight glove has made this a non-issue for me.  I'm glad I'm not the only one who has questioned the carriers ergonomics- I'd been living in silent shame all this time.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:44:13 PM EDT
[#9]
i have used light  (tactical) reduced recoil loads in mine and never had a problem

ranger , federal and remington ran thriugh without a problem   i was told that i would have a problem but never saw one.  my dad'd remington was a different story though
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:24:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Hi All,

I am assigned a 14" M1 Super 90 entry gun at work, and I like it so much, I just bought my own.  In fact, I'm going to go pick it up today.  Of course, here in the PRC, I cannot legally own the 14" gun, even as a full time LEO, without a STATE permit (which are just not really issued), as well as the ATF permit.  

But I was lucky, and found one of the last of a legal run of this weapon...Benelli made a run with their ported muzzle brake permanently attached to a 14" barrel, making it a legal 18".  I like the feel, look, and overall fit of the M1 rather than the newer M2....just used to it I guess...

I'll post up a photo when I get it later today....

Take Care,

JJ
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top