Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2006 7:57:35 PM EDT
Is there no option available for the 870 that comes with an LED - headed tac light?   You'd think they would push this technology for shotguns.   Its not like you need the range of the standard bulb all the time.   I'd like to have the more reliable / brighter  alternative for home defense / CQB where LED's really strut their stuff.  I guess I could "build one" from SF upgrade LED heads, but that can get expensive.

www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/prrfnbr/860/sesent/00

J223...

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:03:32 PM EDT
[#1]
That sounds like overkill
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:05:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I've often wondered the same thing.  I've got a 618FA on my 870P that's running the newer millenium series LM 90 lamp assembly and I'm satisfied with that but...

Given the concerns over bulb breakage in shotguns I'm really surprised that Surefire hasn't pursued a dedicated LED light. I have a spare forend for a Mossberg 590A1 that I'm going to use when I grab another Mossberg, I was thinking along the lines of putting together an LED head for the body instead of an incandescent.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:16:16 PM EDT
[#3]
They DON'T make an LED because Surefire also makes Infra-Red (IR) filters for the light for use with your Nods.  IR filters don't work on LEDs.  

Especially since Surefire is like the #1 most popular thing for GIs, it would be pointless if your trying to use your Nods and IR filters.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 11:23:01 PM EDT
[#4]
As a matter of fact my 618FA is equipped with an FM 13 IR tip off filter.  However I don't see how that has any bearing on whether or not they released a 618 LED since one simply wouldn't use the IR filter with the LED.

While I agree that Surefire gets a large number of it's sales from mil contracts I don't believe the shotgun lights are a part of those contracts. At least the last listing I saw did not list the shotgun forend units.  I'm not stating that they do not have them, just that unit sales on this item wouldn't be enough to have a bearing on an LED option.

As a side note the tip off filter is notorious for shifting forward under recoil on the shotgun lights. In fact mine came completely off at one point. I had to use a spray adhesive to keep it affixed to the bezel.

I don't think mil sales are the reason behind running incandescent only in their sales of this item.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top