Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2006 1:55:26 PM EDT
A pump action, belt fed shotgun that would feed from an m249 style box.  I'd imagine it would be pretty simple to engineer, and could probably be made from an existing model of shotgun with some modifications.   The box could hold as many as 50 rounds.  A semi auto would be better, but that would probably be a DD.

Just my stupid thought of the day......
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 2:06:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I seem to recall hearing that the LAPD had a belt fed full aoto shotgun years ago.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 2:09:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I always thought a belt fed shotgun would be cool. Hell, anything Belt fed is cool

However, as for ease of shooting and weight the full auto USAS-12 might be more pratical than a belt fed 12gauge.

Chris
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 2:38:18 PM EDT
[#3]
As an Engineer, i would say that would be pretty tricky to do.  

An M249 or a M60 or any belt fed gun cycles the alot differently than a shotgun.

Remember that alot of the belt fed guns use links to hold the bullets together.  

If you had a semi auto shotgun, had all the shells linked together it might work, no way to make it work with a pump.

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 2:53:01 PM EDT
[#4]
12 ga minigun with a hopper.  YEEEHAAAAWW!!
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:03:35 PM EDT
[#5]
A USA manufacturer should make a copy of a USAS12 in semiauto with a 10 or 15 round mag. It would take over the "tactical" shotgun market.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:14:43 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
A USA manufacturer should make a copy of a USAS12 in semiauto with a 10 or 15 round mag. It would take over the "tactical" shotgun market.

Been done.  RAMO made USAS-12 during the AWB years until they filed for Chapter 11 protections, they were and are still DDs and can be purchased through that route.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:27:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

An M249 or a M60 or any belt fed gun cycles the alot differently than a shotgun.

If you had a semi auto shotgun, had all the shells linked together it might work, no way to make it work with a pump.

If it would work with a Semi why wouldn't it work with a pamp? Same thing except no gas system.

Pump with a plunger to press the shell back out of the belt. slide goes forward taking plunger with it, shell lifter puts shell in front of bolt. all the while the next shell goes in front of the plunger.

Semi or pump would both work the same. Semi gas does the deed, pump you do the deed.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:30:45 PM EDT
[#8]
When I was a kid, a neighbor who was the class III dealer for the Connecticut State Police showed me two belt-fed .410's. I was pretty young, but I remember being surprised that they were .410's, that they had "duck-bill" chokes, and that the belts were cloth.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:32:46 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
When I was a kid, a neighbor who was the class III dealer for the Connecticut State Police showed me two belt-fed .410's. I was pretty young, but I remember being surprised that they were .410's, that they had "duck-bill" chokes, and that the belts were cloth.

.410 would NOT be a DD!
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:34:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Pictures anyone?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:34:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Been done.  RAMO made USAS-12 during the AWB years until they filed for Chapter 11 protections, they were and are still DDs and can be purchased through that route.

I stand corrected. Why DD? Seems silly.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:55:53 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I stand corrected. Why DD? Seems silly.

Cuz the BATF&E says so...

My question was why in the heck would you want a pump belt-fed?!  Can you imagine shooting a 200 round belt.  Over a period of time your shucking arm would grow to be twice as big as your other arm.

Full auto would be the only way to go.

LB
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:29:20 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I disagree.  Hilti (and just about every other tool manufacturer, for that matter), makes a pump-action nail gun that uses pre-loaded plastic strips with .27 cal blanks.  Each time you pump, the strip advances a fresh shot.  A similar mechanism would probably work with shotguns.

A gun like this would have been perfect for the store owners during the Rodney King riots!
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:47:59 PM EDT
[#14]
A belt-fed shotgun is totally possible with the proper R&D.  Bigger and more technical problems have been solved than feeding 12-gauge shells through a belt-feed mechanism.  I know of a few transferable belt-fed MG shotguns out there, just some C2 tinkerers from the 80s who wanted to play with the concept.

I think the fatal flaw is in the application.  This would be a fun toy, no doubt, but that would be about it. It wouldn't have any military or law enforcement application. Think about what a belt-fed weapon is supposed to do and you'll realize that the shotgun doesn't fit in those paramaters.  Hell, a magazine fed shotgun is a better idea and that never took off despite numerous attempts.  The USAS-12 is the perfect shotgun in this regard.  It's reliable and heavy to mitigate recoil, it feeds from a magazine so reloading is easy and quick, and it allows using multiple types of loads far better than anything else.  But it still never took off.

No one would fund the serious R&D when the sales prospects are so limited.

Another fatal flaw in a belt-fed shotgun would be the ammunition itself.  While shotguns generate less heat than just about any other firearm, they do generate heat and a plastic hulled shotshell will melt inside the chamber and barrel when it gets hot enough and this will shut the gun down for a long time.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:03:00 AM EDT
[#15]
You coud probaly scale up a .22lr gatling gun to 12 gauge.  You could feed it from a hopper like the old .45-70.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:47:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Id say that if they can get a 40mm to feed by belt in a mk19 GL, that it shouldnt be that hard to scale the thing down for 12 guage...  
what do ya think?
hunter
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 4:03:44 PM EDT
[#17]
+1      I was thinking the same thing about the MK19
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:18:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Auto Assault-12 (AA-12) full-auto shotgun

Its been done befor and this is the newest version I know of.
This thing would own in urban combat. Two words... BAD ASS  -360 rds per min..
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:50:02 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Auto Assault-12 (AA-12) full-auto shotgun

Its been done befor and this is the newest version I know of.
This thing would own in urban combat. Two words... BAD ASS  -360 rds per min..

Aha!  That's what that thing is.  Thanks for the link.  I've got a video of it that I've had for a while, but didn't know what it was.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top