Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/19/2006 2:31:57 PM EDT
What do you guys recommend? Looking to spend around $300-350

My buddy has the Mossberg 500.  I loved shooting it.  I think it's called the Persuader.  6pos adjustable stock, heatshields, etc...

Places to buy?

ETA:  What's the difference between the 500 and 590?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:05:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I just picked up a police trade in 870 wingmaster with 18" barrel. It is almost like new, save for the wood stock being scratched. The park is like new, and I paid $165 + tax. I think these are a great deal. They aren't fancy, but there are lots of aftermarket parts out there for them.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:40:18 PM EDT
[#2]
31 views and nobody else wants to brag about their gun and why they like it?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:44:40 PM EDT
[#3]
590 or 870, with my preference going to the 870
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:02:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Here's the better choices:
The Remington Express 18" synthetic:
www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model_870/model_870_express_synthetic_18inch.asp

The new Express-based Remington Tactical is a OD Green coated gun with a Tactical stock.
This may cost more than your budget.
You can see it in the new 2006 catalog:
www.remington.com/what's_new/2006_spring_products/

On Mossberg, the 500 is the commercial model.  The 590 has a different magazine tube assembly and is beefed up.
The 590A1 is the full blown extra-beefy military and police issue model.

Dollar for dollar the best buy is likely the Remington 870 Express Synthetic, which used to be named the Home Defense.
This has the same forged and milled steel receiver with heavy-duty internals that the expensive 870P Police guns have.
The Mossberg's are aluminum with stamped and plastic internals..

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:07:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Here's the better choices:
The Remington Express 18" synthetic:
www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model_870/model_870_express_synthetic_18inch.asp

The new Express-based Remington Tactical is a OD Green coated gun with a Tactical stock.
This may cost more than your budget.
You can see it in the new 2006 catalog:
www.remington.com/what's_new/2006_spring_products/

On Mossberg, the 500 is the commercial model.  The 590 has a different magazine tube assembly and is beefed up.
The 590A1 is the full blown extra-beefy military and police issue model.

Dollar for dollar the best buy is likely the Remington 870 Express Synthetic, which used to be named the Home Defense.
This has the same forged and milled steel receiver with heavy-duty internals that the expensive 870P Police guns have.
The Mossberg's are aluminum with stamped and plastic internals..

Best place to purchase something like this?

what do you guys think of Benelli?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:50:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Some times these can be bought from some Wal-Mart stores.
Any local dealer can order one for you.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:52:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought a 870 express 18" barrel with factory 2-shot extension, 5-round side saddle, and Speedfeed stock on here for $310.

I love it. It would be nice to have a police, but I don't think they are worth the extra money.Just me, I associate shotguns with not being expensive.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:00:35 PM EDT
[#8]

The bottom one go on sell every few weeks at Big 5 Sporting Goods for $299.  Don't know if there's a Big 5 in your area.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:06:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
www.remington.com/images/products/firearms/shotgun/870expsyn18.jpg

The bottom one go on sell every few weeks at Big 5 Sporting Goods for $299.  Don't know if there's a Big 5 in your area.

How comfortable are those to hold?

If it matters, I'm 5' 8", average size.  The Mossberg 500 with collapsible stock fit against my shoulder so damn well.  How easy is it to swap out stocks?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:29:29 PM EDT
[#10]
http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=93&t=337112

You can probably find one for not much more that has the mag extension on, just keep your eyes open.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:39:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks.  I might just buy one locally.  Gonna go cruise around tomorrow.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:10:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Good luck. I have one of the persuadors set up in pistol grip shotgun. It just sits on my back seat. I may put the long stock back on it since I am not crazy about shooting buckshot with the pislol grip.
BTW I would buy the 870 its really a nice shotgun.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:58:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:59:17 AM EDT
[#14]

I have the 870 synthetic 18", the bottom one pictured with the extension.

I'm 6ft even and 170lbs, I'ed have to say that I think the stock is just a 'tad' too long. Over time I've gotten used to it, but I could go for shaving off two inches or so.

That said, Wilson sells an after market shorty stock right off their website. If I were more serious about it, I would get one.

Also, if you do go with the 870, it would be worth your time to look at a new follower. The one that comes with the gun is a cheap plastic thing, looks like a soda cap. I got one from wilson that's neon green and very durable looking.

good luck with your choice.

-Teflon
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:01:29 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I have the 870 synthetic 18", the bottom one pictured with the extension.

I'm 6ft even and 170lbs, I'ed have to say that I think the stock is just a 'tad' too long. Over time I've gotten used to it, but I could go for shaving off two inches or so.

That said, Wilson sells an after market shorty stock right off their website. If I were more serious about it, I would get one.

Also, if you do go with the 870, it would be worth your time to look at a new follower. The one that comes with the gun is a cheap plastic thing, looks like a soda cap. I got one from wilson that's neon green and very durable looking.

good luck with your choice.

-Teflon

Thanks alot for your input.  I definitely like the stock on my friend's Persuader.  It's the collapsible stock, but in fully collapsed form, it's short, and very comfortable.

I'll definitely look into the follower.

How hard are shotguns to clean?  I'm an AR guy, so I'm used to spending half of my lifetime cleaning my rifle properly.  I'd assume shotguns take alot less.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:02:20 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I guess we have done this topic sooooo many times that no one wants to do it again. When it come to the 870/1300/500/590 question you will get people to tell you why they like their model better but the truth is that all four will last most a lifetime with a little care.

The bottom line is this. The 870 is the best selling followed by the 500/590. The 1300 is no longer made, Winchester is closing it's doors in a few days. So handle all three that are still in production, the 870, 500 and 590 and  buy the 870. MIKE.

Haha I think I just might do that :)
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:50:23 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
www.remington.com/images/products/firearms/shotgun/870expsyn18.jpg

They have them for $279 at Sportsman's Warehouse in Arizona
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top