Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2006 12:48:30 PM EDT
I purchased a Sure fire for my 870 security model (Model 618FA).  I can remove the shot tube extension, but i cant remove the magazine cap.  Unlike the regular model there is no front face to use the Surefire installation tool.  It is hollow.  It seems that Remington over tourqed the cap (Fuck Remington, this is my last 870!  dimples from a past shotgun and now this on the 7-shot model)  Is there any way i can loosen the cap?  I've tried lubricating the threads and lightly tapping on the cap with a small hammer.  I also used an old leather sling to wrap around the groved cap and loosen it by letting the leather grip down.  NO-GO!!    GRrrrrr

Will i have to send the weapon to a smith?  If so, who would be a good choice?

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:57:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Put a rag over the magazine cap, and get a pair of channel-locks to get it off. Its a PITA, but it can be done.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:00:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't think I'm following you.  The magazine extention will come off the gun?  Doesn't the cap come off with that as a whole assembly?  I just put a SF on my 870P yesterday without problem.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:53:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:13:37 PM EDT
[#4]
The two shot extension unscrews from the mag tube cap.  I used to own a Marine Magnum and i remember the shot tube extension also acting as a mag cap.  Oh well....would'nt be the first time that Remington has decided to change something to be cheap.  Wish i could find an 870P.

The magazine cap wouldnt budge after wrapping an old leather sling around it.  The only way i could see unscrewing it would be to drill a hole through and insert a steel rod to turn it-ITS ON THAT TIGHT!!  

What is a channel-lock?  I see now way a tool could fit the hollow knurled mag cap.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:41:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Looked up channel-lock and found one in a tool box.   I wrapped the mag cap in a rag and attempted to use them to loosen the cap.  All it did was wear away the finish and dig a groove in the cheap Remington steel which HAD to be screwed on so tight so the gay company could save a few cent on doing away with the detent.  Unless i find a used wingmaster or a Police Model 870 thats built proper i am DONE with Remington products.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:55:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Originally posted by ikor
The HD models need the cap tightened well because they do not use the ball and detent system like the Wingmaster or Police models.

Mine does. Just got it a few weeks ago. It has the detent and ball bearing, and the mag extension seems to be one piece with the cap. Needed Channel Locks on mine too.

I think mine is probably fresh stock, it came from Bud's, and I think they're selling a ton of 'em.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:26:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:53:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Well finally.  helped to have someone put a knee down on the stock.  A dish rag worked a little better then the leather or thick cloth.  My mag cap looked chewed up.  

This is my fourth 870 and the mag cap was never this hard to remove.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top