Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2006 7:13:01 PM EDT
I see that Ithica is back in biz, I like the looks of the LE model. Problem is, I've never handled one before, what are they like? Where can I procure one?
Are they reliable? Are they all 2 3/4"?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:23:06 PM EDT
[#1]
The Ithaca Model 37 was the last long gun designed by John Browning.
As such, it's an American classic.
The Model 37 is the last American shotgun still made of solid forged and milled steel, and American walnut.

It was used over the years by the Navy SEALs in Vietnam, the LAPD, and the US military in WWII.
It's an unusual design in that it both loads and ejects from the bottom of the receiver.

The Ithaca is about bullet-proof, with the only problems were some tendency to develop cracks in the butt stock where it joins the receiver.

The Model 37 is an "old school" design and isn't as easy to field strip as newer guns, and due to the barrel and magazine design, you can't add an extension, or change to a shorter magazine.
So, the magazine length you buy the gun with is what you have to live with.

There are few accessories available, so you may have trouble finding other stocks, barrels, fore arms, or lights, etc.

The guns have had a 3" chamber for some years.

To find out where to buy, I'd contact the new factory and ask who their distributors are.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:41:32 AM EDT
[#2]
The Ithaca M37 is one of the foremost combat shotguns, and as mentioned previously, has served will with LE/Combat units for years. As far as reliability/durability, I would consider the Ithaca M37 to be equivalent to the Mossberg, Winchester and Remington. If you plan to accessorise or need to modify your weapon, move along. There just isn't the demand to make aftermarket products for the M37. Some aftermarket accessories might interchange like slings/shell holders and possibly heat shields. If you plan on keeping your weapon stock, and I would because its already a beautiful gun especially with the extended magazine, then this wont be an issue for your. I have a 7 shot Ithaca M37, complete with "duckbill" which was made in the 1980's that I absolutely adore. I could take or leave the "duckbill" and only have it for aunthenticity. I absolutely love this weapon and it has never given me any problems. My only "concernt"*if you could call it that* would be the Ithaca's single action bar, whereas the comppetition uses two which can increase durability/reliability and reduce binding. The Ithaca M37 was used by the LAPD for decades and served well in Vietnam so it appears the extra action bar is of no consequence, but its worth noting. For a simple, no frills HD shotgun the Ithaca M37 would be an excellent choice. Few shotguns "feel" as good as the M37. Definatly find one you can check out, I think you will really enjoy it.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:47:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I love them! I've owned 3, all 8 shot parkerized, all produced/bought in the 1980s. One was stolen in a burglary in the mid 80's  (had a Choate pistol grip and a mount for a 2 D cell Mag Light too.... can you say "early tactical ?" ). One was sold off during hard economic time (kicks self repeatedly...) and the third is still with me (wears a Pachmyer Vindicator rubber pistol grip and forend).

Major difference between those of the 80s and a later itteration, the old 37 would slam fire. If you held the trigger down, it would fire as soon as the bolt reached battery. Makes for very fast emptying of the seven round tube . I knew a guy in high school who almost shot his brother hunting with one though. Pumped the slide after firing, without removing finger from trigger. Obviously the guns fault....

Anyway, that feature was changed at some point (I think around the same time frame they began to offer a 3 inch chamber IIRC). Not sure if the new ones slam fire, but I doubt it. Sure would be cool....

I was in contact with them last week, will be calling them early this week. I'd recommend a phone call, as it took me 2 emails to get a response. They say they are swamped with emails. I want to try to order a law enf. model with a smooth, satin finished wood stock. to replace the one I sold.. They say they think they can accomodate that.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:28:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I think the LE model with a green laminated stock would be sweet, but then again, the choate stock is pretty damn nice so it'll be a tough desicion.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:15:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I have one and have owned 2 others in the past current 1 is a 5 shot rifle sight police model that is a pd trade in I refinished and installed factory plastic furniture on. it is 100% thats why I carry it . it is also slamfire .  except having a 3 inch chamber and choke tubes nothing beats it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:39:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:25:31 AM EDT
[#7]
what hasn't been said about these fine shotguns?  WW2, Korea, Vietnam and LE circles
the bottom eject is ingenious for lefty's and righty's. . .

this one here is pretty gussied-up.

steel receiver, good strong wood or synthetic, proven reliability, you can't go wrong
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top