Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/21/2006 9:20:24 PM EDT
I see there is a big nut (the Forend Tube Nut) holding the Forend on the Forend Tube. Is there a specially large wrench for removing the Forend Tube Nut ? Is the Nut held on with Loctite, or does it spin off easily ? After it is removed, does the plastic Forend slide off easily or is it a struggle ?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:31:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Ok, let's see if I can take this one at a time. Yes, there is a special tool called a fore end wrench designed to remove that nut. Brownelle's sells about 40 different kinds for around $20. The nut is not held on with Loctite as far as I could tell, but it doesn't spin off easily either. After the nut is removed, the fore end slides off fairly easily.

Here's what I did to remove mine (and beware, it's redneck, get the right tool for the job, buyer beware, ymmv, etc.). I took a smallish pair of needle nose pliers and spread them apart so that the each of the jaws fit into one of the slots on the nut. Then I carefully turned the pliers to loosen the nut. You kind of have to be careful when turning because the pliers can close up on you pretty easily and will pinch the shit out of you (or gouge, stab, cut, puncture, scrath, etc.) Same thing in reverse for tightening when replacing the fore end. I told you it was redneck, but it works well enough and saves you the $20.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:41:19 PM EDT
[#2]
OK, I used the bubba method described above and it worked great. Thanks Terd.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:31:07 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
OK, I used the bubba method described above and it worked great. Thanks Terd.

Any time bro. I'm just glad I could help.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:40:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Hell that ain't redneck. That is just getting the job done with available resources. I love seeing people think.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:09:54 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Hell that ain't redneck. That is just getting the job done with available resources. I love seeing people think.

It comes down to a matter of I want my new fore end installed. Do I pay $20 for a tool I'll probably only use once (and wait a week for it to show up from Brownells or the like) or pay the local gunsmith monkey probably the same amount to scratch my gun up. Where there's a will, there's a way.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top