Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/14/2006 9:06:51 PM EDT
the range I shoot at limits shotguns to slugs only (unless shooting skeet).  This leaves me with a HEAVILY leaded barrel at the end of a fun day.  My technique for cleaning it is basically CLP, a bore brush and about 2 hours of my life.

Is there an easier way to get the damned lead out of the barrel?  I'd like to stay away from the really nasty solvents if possible, unless there is one that's really good.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:36:34 PM EDT
[#1]
CLP is not really a bore cleaner, although in a pinch you can use it as such.  It does nothing for copper fouling.
The "C" part of CLP really means that it provides a "cleaning action" for the moving parts.
The CLP keeps fouling soft, and allows moving parts to force it out of the way.

Ordinary Hoppe's #9 will do much better, or you can soak it over night in Kroil.

The faster way is to buy some "Tornado" brushes.
www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/productdetail.aspx?p=9791&s=
NOTE: I don't know why they make these in rifled calibers, they only really work in shotguns.
In shotguns they work GREAT.

In extreme cases, you can wrap a little FINE steel wool, or better yet some copper "Chore Boy" around a well used bore brush, chuck it in a drill and run it at medium speeds, keeping it moving at all times.

This is the ONE and ONLY situation where you can use a drill and brush on a firearm barrel.
Don't forget to scrub the CHAMBER as well.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:24:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:36:41 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
NOTE: I don't know why they make these in rifled calibers, they only really work in shotguns.
In shotguns they work GREAT.

I use Tornado brushes to clean out revolver chambers.  Nothing beats them for that.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:39:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I've gotten fouling out of M16 barrels that no one else could, with CLP, but I let it soak (sopping wet) for 24 hours, then run a bore snake through it about 10 times, then soak for another 24, do it 3 times and I got bores that look new.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:19:54 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
the range I shoot at limits shotguns to slugs only (unless shooting skeet).  This leaves me with a HEAVILY leaded barrel at the end of a fun day.  My technique for cleaning it is basically CLP, a bore brush and about 2 hours of my life.

Is there an easier way to get the damned lead out of the barrel?  I'd like to stay away from the really nasty solvents if possible, unless there is one that's really good.

Prevention is the best approach.  Tetra makes the claim that it reduces fouling and makes it much easier to clean afterwards.  I have used it and it seems to work.  They make a pretty good bore cleaner also.  Butches' is also good.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:48:26 AM EDT
[#6]
i use solvent and then i run CLP through the barrell.  the solventy will get rid of any fouling you have...
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:48:56 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I've gotten fouling out of M16 barrels that no one else could, with CLP, but I let it soak (sopping wet) for 24 hours, then run a bore snake through it about 10 times, then soak for another 24, do it 3 times and I got bores that look new.

I have had similar success with CLP.  It is designed to be used as a cleaning solvent.  It's all the military gave us to clean the M16 and M9.  Mop the bore down sopping wet with CLP and let it soak like stated above.  Stay away from stainless steel brushes.  They are harder than the carbon steel in your barrel, and will scratch it  
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:37:28 PM EDT
[#8]
For a heavily leaded shotgun barrel, this is what i do.

Run a sopping wet (solvent, not CLP) bore mop through the bore. Let it sit for a couple minutes. Take your everyday, cheap, brass bore brush and cleaning rod, and chuck it in the cordless drill. Run it through the bore several times, at a medium speed. take your bore mop, and run it through a couple more times, then hit it with the patch. Clean as a whistle.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:30:46 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
For a heavily leaded shotgun barrel, this is what i do.

Run a sopping wet (solvent, not CLP) bore mop through the bore. Let it sit for a couple minutes. Take your everyday, cheap, brass bore brush and cleaning rod, and chuck it in the cordless drill. Run it through the bore several times, at a medium speed. take your bore mop, and run it through a couple more times, then hit it with the patch. Clean as a whistle.

CLP has one of the best solvents available as part of it's formulation.  You can buy it separately as BreakFree Bore Cleaner.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:35:15 PM EDT
[#10]
In my experience, CLP does non of these well, Clean, Lube, or protect, as well a s a dedicated fluid for each. It will work in a pinch, but if you use the riht thing for the right job, all works well. Thats simply my opnion.

I use bore solvent for cleaning, oil for lube and protection.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:09:57 PM EDT
[#11]
CLP is the best protectant that I've ever seen  Nothing rusts with a good coat of CLP. IMO it is a crappy solvent, though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top