Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/11/2006 4:45:16 PM EDT
My buddy has a Remington 870 Express Super Magnum with a 25" barrel. (up to 3.5 inch shell). He wants to put a 18" barrel on there. Can he buy "any" 870 18" barrel, or does he have to buy a barrel specifically for that model?
Thanks in advance for your help.

He's building something like this

and / or

Gene
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:34:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Any barrel with fit, but he can only shoot the length of shells the barrel is made for.
In other words, if he buys a 3" chambered barrel he can shoot 2 3/4" and 3" but not 3 1/2".
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:58:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I figured that was the case, but since I know nothing about shotguns, I thouht I'd ask to make sure.    Thank you.

Now, where can he find a new or used 18" barrel?  

He wants me to do the work for him (remove a couple screws and install ONE OF THESE KITS).

I'd like to have one too, but I need to get a shotgun first.

Thanks,

Gene

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:02:55 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Any barrel with fit, but he can only shoot the length of shells the barrel is made for.
In other words, if he buys a 3" chambered barrel he can shoot 2 3/4" and 3" but not 3 1/2".

Are you sure of this?

I thought that there was a difference in length and design of the Supermag reciever and the reg/magnum reciever.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:28:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm pretty sure a regular 870 bbl WILL NOT fit the Super Mag.. Matter of fact, I was reading the owners manual from my new Remmy today, and it said the all 870 bbl are interchangable, EXCEPT for the Super Mag..
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:49:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Here's the word direct from Remington:

Q: Can you put a Model 870 magnum barrel on an 870 Super Magnum firearm?

Answer
You can put a 12 gauge Model 870 magnum barrel on a Model 870 Super Magnum. Please note that you would be limited to using up to 3" shells with the magnum barrel. Super Magnum barrels may not be used on non-magnum receivers.  

On replacement barrels, there are plenty of sources:
Direct from Remington.
Mossberg sells a 18" barrel made to fit the 870.
Gun Parts sells the Mossberg barrel for $112.00.
Ebay.
Cabela's
Ask on the gun forums, someone always has a barrel to sell.

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:55:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Any and all help is appreciated.

My buddy wrote to Remington and has yet to get an answer.

Gene
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:57:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I figured that was the case, but since I know nothing about shotguns, I thouht I'd ask to make sure.    Thank you.

Now, where can he find a new or used 18" barrel?  

He wants me to do the work for him (remove a couple screws and install ONE OF THESE KITS).

I'd like to have one too, but I need to get a shotgun first.

Thanks,

MidwayUSA has the 18.5" barrels for $99.95.

SM

Gene

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top