Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2006 4:44:02 PM EDT
I have a high dollar pump shotgun. I refuse to say who buy because of   's

This one is unfired for now

I need to know if it is fairly common for a reputable shotty to mis feed when pumping with the muzzle pointed at the ground. The shell shoots back fine but catches just below the barrel and does a reverse stove pipe every time, but only when pointed strait down.

Anyone else have this problem.

Out of my collection only two do this and they are my most expensive guns.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:56:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:06:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Behind the door action.

Also does it while pointed mostly downward as when you are chanbering for a breach. Just not all the time.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:02:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Come on someone else try it with imported shottys  

I feel like Im takeing crazy pills here!
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:32:11 AM EDT
[#4]
You said the shell was catching at the barrel.  Is the shell travelling all the way up from the elevator?  Or is it just part way up and not inline with the chamber?

If this is the case, remove the bolt and inspect the extractor(s).  There may be a bur or sharp edge at the bottom.

This happened to me recently with a domestic-made shotgun.

2guntom
454 Casull +
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:55:17 AM EDT
[#5]
You may as well just post the brand and model of the shotgun with pics. That will help more quickly because then someone familiar with the model will be more able to help you zero in on the problem and get it resolved.

Don't worry about flames - they're meaningless
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 12:09:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have a high dollar pump shotgun.

Is Perazzi making a pump gun?

Just kiddin' man. Tell what model you've got and I bet we'll come up with a fix that doesn't involve a welder and a crow bar.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:43:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Well first off I class anything over 550 a high dollor pump. I dont know how many are more than that but there has to be few. Second it does have a life time warranty through the manufacturer / Importer. Just trying to figure if its a fluke or not. It actually has a recessed space that appears to be there just for this to happen
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:06:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Does the "reverse stove pipe" occur when the action is fully open, or after you begin to close the action?

Is this a bottom eject gun - similar to a Browning BPS or Ithaca 37?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:39:13 AM EDT
[#9]
My FP6 was giving me that jam every now and then. My 8 shot mag spring was well worn and it wasn't kicking the shell far enough back on the carrier. I guess if your holding the gun down you might have 2 things to overcome, a weak spring and GRAVITY. I bought 2 more springs from Choate and rotate them out so the springs don't settle. Also, try cleaning and lubing the mag tube and polish the follower if its not plastic. Works great now.

I'll have to test it with the muzzle down. It might be a timing thing, The spring may be strong enough but if you wait too long after ejecting, the shell will drop forward touching the next shell in the magazine and the front of the shell will hang up as you described. Technique would fix this design flaw if you can time your forward stroke when the shell is in its most rearward position on the lifter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top