Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2006 4:57:54 PM EDT
First post in the shotgun section.

I have a Rem 870 express with a 21" ribbed barrel.  I am going to drop the 21' barrel and replace it with a 18.5" barrel.  I am going to buy the barrel from Midway.  I want to extend the magazine tube.  I want the extension to be no longer than the barrel.  I am assuming that a 2 round extension will be the max.  Is this correct or can I extend it three rounds?

Also, I am looking at Choate and Wilson extensions.  I am leaning toward the Choate because it has the support bracket between the tube extension and the barrel.

Sorry, I know this question has probably been asked dozens of times in the last month or so but in reviewing the most recent posts, I cannot seem to get a comprehensive answer to my question.

Thanks for any input.

SM
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:58:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a factory 18.5" barrel, and if you want an extension that doesnt extend pass the barrel your max is going to be 2 shot. I think that someone posted a topic about the different magazine extensions, IIRC, most people suggested the factory extension. Thats what i have and haven't had any problems with it what so every!
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:27:24 AM EDT
[#2]
My factory 2 shot extention goes past the barrel about a half inch.  Go with the Choate or Wilson extention it doesnt go past the barrel.  I would go with the choate because of the clamp as well..
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:13:52 AM EDT
[#3]
If you have a true 18 1/2" barrel, the factory extension will not stick out beyond the muzzle.

The factory extension was originally designed for the 18" length barrel Remington always used.
The extended cap on the end that stuck out beyond the muzzle was intended to be the mounting point for a bayonet.

Apparently, Remington has recently changed the barrel length so the extension is even with the barrel.

So, with a true 18 1/2" barrel, any Plus 2 extension, factory or aftermarket will not project beyond the muzzle.

Choate makes an excellent extension in either satin black sulfate, or parkerized finish.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:30:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes, Choate is an excellent company.  You know what kind of product you have when you call customer service.  I've talked to the general manager and he is an outstanding young man.  Even the lady that answers the phone is very pleasant and extremely helpful.  Choate gets an A+ in my book!

You can only do a 2+ with an 18" barrel.

Keep in mind, there are "dimples" in the mag tube that have to be removed before you will see any benefit from the extension.  You can drill them out or do some Dremeling.

The barrel clamp is not a necessity.  The barrel and tube do not need any support.  About the only thing the barrel clamp does is provide a point to attach a sling.

I really like Midway, but you might find a better price on your barrel at D&R Sports.  I've purchased from him twice and his prices beat Midway's.  You will need the Remington part number for ordering

Mark Komoroski @

D&R Sports Center
620 Fairchild St
PO Box 139
Nanticoke, PA 18634
570-735-1752

[email protected]

http://www.dnrsports.com

2guntom
454 Casull +
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top