Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/2/2006 1:55:21 PM EDT
here is a comparison for ya.  both were fired from 20yds off hand and both were 181/2 barrels.  first pic is from my 870  with a vang system.  can't figure out  what is with the two flyers, i get em all the time.

this one just has an improved choke

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:32:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Cyl bore on the non-Vang?

All defense shotguns need a choke of some kind.......................

.......and 3in #4 buck
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:57:07 PM EDT
[#2]
#4 is too small, doesn't have enough momentum in the individual pellets for good penetration.

Try a different type of buckshot, TAP at that distance out of my VangComp patterns as the fist of death.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:36:14 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
#4 is too small, doesn't have enough momentum in the individual pellets for good penetration.

Try a different type of buckshot, TAP at that distance out of my VangComp patterns as the fist of death.

I may be wrong, but from the tests I have seen #4 penetrates well into vital organ area and beyond.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:40:18 AM EDT
[#4]
where is a good place to get tap oo buck?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:08:29 AM EDT
[#5]
- Duplicate, deleted -
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:11:40 AM EDT
[#6]
In regards to #4 I based that statement on the tests I had read, so maybe we just read competing resources? My opinion(and I stress opinion, as I dont shoot things for a living) is that at the increased ranges 00 will hold more energy that 4. At close ranges, 10 yards and under, probably no significant difference.

I get Hornady TAP at the local gun store, online is available at
Boses Guns

Hornady pattern at 55 ft from VangComp

You can cover 7 of those pellets with your fist... ouch...
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:22:42 AM EDT
[#7]
I thought this thread was about the convicted murdering Hmoung from Minnesota.  I thought that you were contemplating "going Vang"- as in wiping out an entire hunting party in cold blood with an SKS.  

I've thought about having one of my shotgun barrels modified.  At this point, I'm concentrating on tricking out my AR-180B with a rail system with lights, laser, etc.  If the SHTF, and I'm using my shotgun, then the world has truly gone to hell.  Then I may have to "go Vang" on somebody.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:00:51 PM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:43:08 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
here is a comparison for ya.  both were fired from 20yds off hand and both were 181/2 barrels.  first pic is from my 870  with a vang system.  can't figure out  what is with the two flyers, i get em all the time.

i1.tinypic.com/n2z80x.jpg

this one just has an improved choke

i1.tinypic.com/n2z9fl.jpg

How big are those patterns?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:39:47 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
In regards to #4 I based that statement on the tests I had read, so maybe we just read competing resources? My opinion(and I stress opinion, as I dont shoot things for a living) is that at the increased ranges 00 will hold more energy that 4. At close ranges, 10 yards and under, probably no significant difference.

I get Hornady TAP at the local gun store, online is available at
Boses Guns

Hornady pattern at 55 ft from VangComp
www.meyerclan.com/img/hornady_55ft.jpg
You can cover 7 of those pellets with your fist... ouch...

That is a decent pattern at the stated distance. I've been contemplating picking up some T.A.P. for my 870. I think I'll try some out next range trip.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:00:18 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I may be wrong, but from the tests I have seen #4 penetrates well into vital organ area and beyond.

FWIW - Old_Painless on SG rounds (thank you Old Painless)

www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot3.htm

I'll take 00 buck.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:56:57 PM EDT
[#12]
+1 on the Box O' Truth shotgun testing.  I read it a couple of months ago and confirmed by suspcion that #4 was not much of a man stopper.  It's reduced recoil 00Buck for my HD load.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:10:16 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
+1 on the Box O' Truth shotgun testing.  I read it a couple of months ago and confirmed by suspcion that #4 was not much of a man stopper.  It's reduced recoil 00Buck for my HD load.

I think I got this link from someone on this forum, shows shotgun loads shot into balistic gel, the 00 penetrated 21in, whereas the #4 went 15.5in, granted, not as deep as the 00, but plenty deep to get to vital organs. 21in is pretty thick for an average person, bones notwithstanding, this would almost blow out the back. Also, how does sheetrock compare to human flesh and tissue? I would thing the gel would be a more accurate testing tool when human targets are concerned.

Not that this has anything to do with anything, but have yall checked out the Winchester XX Supreme X-press 3 1/2 #4 buck?  I think its something like 57 pellets, to bad my 1300 wont chamber anything over 4in

gel testing
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:13:29 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I have no experience nor any references to back up this thought, but what is the penetration difference between regular Vs reduced recoil buckshot?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:31:08 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I have no experience nor any references to back up this thought, but what is the penetration difference between regular Vs reduced recoil buckshot?

That is a good question indeed!
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:46:16 AM EDT
[#16]

the cluster of six measure 3" wide by 4" high. the target is a fbi- at-99 target. the center squre is 4" by 61/2"
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 3:53:11 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

the cluster of six measure 3" wide by 4" high. the target is a fbi- at-99 target. the center squre is 4" by 61/2"

Thank you.  I appreciate the reply.  

I'm doing some testing and patterning myself.  Since Mr. Vang is da man! I use him as a benchmark.

Thanks again!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top