Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2006 9:44:54 AM EDT
my question is why?  it's a 25yd gun with buckshot and 100yd with slugs.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:06:52 AM EDT
[#1]
For speed. Also, I am told by several shooters that the EOTech outer ring is a good representation of how their shotgun will pattern, out to 35 yards or so. On weapons used for the hunting of two legged vermin, red dot optics are useful at night.

I am a fan of ghost rings above all others though.

ETA: FWIW certain buckshot loads(Hornady TAP comes to mind) and certain barrel mods (Vang-Comp style back boring) make buckshot effective on man sized targets to 50m and slugs from a ghost ring sighted gun can hit silhouettes to 150m. At least thats what my shotgun wielding friends tell me. I own two shotguns, one has two barrels and the other has one, and they only kill birds.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:56:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:36:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I will be puting a red dot scope on my new 870  slug gun before next hunting season, does anyone have any insite on these scope and what to stay away from?

Sight I am planing on using:

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:35:26 AM EDT
[#4]
i was refering to putting scopes on a shotgun used for two legged creatures.  my dad is one day older then dirt and can still see a man size target at 100yds with his eyeballs
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:51:00 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
i was refering to putting scopes on a shotgun used for two legged creatures.  my dad is one day older then dirt and can still see a man size target at 100yds with his eyeballs

Tactical red dots are not for target magnification.  Generally, they are zero magnification.  As others have said, the advantages are rapid target acquisition combined with a both-eyes-open view of the target area.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:54:28 PM EDT
[#6]
The thing is you ether have to switch it on, or leave it on and get a dead battery. "Oh look, a squirel in that tree, let me turn on / adjust my red dot sight". I had a red dot (and butler creek folder) on my mossy for a while, I couldn't get used to it, so I put the cruiser grip back on and took the optic off.

I've got 7 shot guns and they all have only bead sights. I put a fiber optic bead on my remington when I had the barrel shortened and even that proves to be a distraction when aquiring the target.

Of all the shit I've wasted money on for my shot guns, the only things I have left on were flash lights. I'll put the sling on if I'm going out on an ATV, but otherwise, just the light. I have an ATI top folder on my remmy now and I'm still wundering if I'll leave it on there.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:27:50 AM EDT
[#7]
A shotgun without a sling is but half a weapon.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:52:47 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
A shotgun without a sling is but half a weapon.

It's also a good place for the BG to grab ahold of!
ALL of my rifles have slings, but I just can't get used to having one on my shottys. To each his own.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:11:27 PM EDT
[#9]
a one point sling takes care of any issues as to being grabbed. Also, if using a conventional 2 pt, learn to cradle it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:15:35 PM EDT
[#10]
only sling I have on a shotgun is a military sling on my Norinco Winchester '97.  It looks good and help me out on the skeet range.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top