Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2006 8:28:51 PM EDT
I have my 870 broken down, ready to apply duracoat, wondering what I should mask off and how
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:57:24 PM EDT
[#1]
What all you planing on shooting with DC?
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 10:30:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Barrel, receiver and magazine.  I don't think I'll have too much trouble, but I want to make sure I don't screw up any tolerances.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:49:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I did my 870 and the only thing i taped was the end of the barrel where is goes into the receiver and put some newspaper into the receiver itself so it wouldnt screw anything up.

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 5:32:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I just said the hell with it, sprayed it down, doesn't look great, but good enough for my purposes.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:22:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Does dura coat have to be heated after being applied like some of the other spray can finishes, and how durable would it be for something like hadgun mags.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:19:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Does dura coat have to be heated after being applied like some of the other spray can finishes, and how durable would it be for something like hadgun mags.

No it doesnt have to be, but you can "speed" up the process. I don't bother, because even though it appears okay to do, rather let it cure naturally.  Per Duracoat: DuraCoat will dry to the touch in 20 min and can be used after curing 6 - 8 hrs. How ever it will continue to cure for 4 to 6 weeks after application.

Pertaining to mags.  Well, I've used Brownells Alumahyde on some old Sten mags as well as regular AR mags.  Surface prep is important, totally degrease and I've had no excessive wear on those mags.  As for the finish, I do feel that there is more durability with Duracoat than Alumahyde.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top