Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2006 2:16:16 PM EDT
Does franchi still make the Spas-12? Just a question.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:23:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:29:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Where on there website does it say that. Also why would you stop making something like that it is like colt stoped making the AR-15
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:34:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I think they dropped it years ago, complicated and a heavy weapon I owned one.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:56:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I had one too - for the money, I'd recommend buying a Fabarm or Benelli.

Better yet, buy an 870 and save yourself about $800.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:19:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Long since out of production.  There are lots of better shotguns out there.

If you must have a SPAS-12, make sure you get the version with the improved (push button) safety.  The lever safety is dangerous and can't be upgraded.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:29:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks to Bush Sr, the importation of those was abruptly halted with the 1989 Import Ban.  As far as I know, no more came into the country since.

2guntom
454 Casull +
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:53:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't know if they still make it or not but it is a very cool shotgun. My best friend has one and although it's not very "tactical" it is a fine shooter. His is the model with ghost ring sights and the collabsible stock. Some came with rifle sights and a fixed stock. His has always been 100% reliable on the auto side if used with magnum rounds. The shucker is a little stiff and slow for the pump action side. It's heavy but it really takes the sting out of the shots! I'll never forget watching him bust clay pigeons with that thing. Almost as funny as watching him blast doves with his little stagecoach gun.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:15:51 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:30:51 AM EDT
[#9]
I got a 870 it doesn't do it for me it doesn't look cool enough then again I didn't mod it yet.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:38:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I think people should worry more about function then how something looks.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:36:39 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

This is true but if something looks scary such as the spas well if someone breaks into your house and they see it after they shit there pants I think there gonna run rather quickly. The again any gun would make a home intruder run unless he has a gun then maybe not.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:11:52 PM EDT
[#12]
:P  Yeah, not many people are going to criticize your Remington 870 if their barrel is in their face.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:18:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Does buying a SPAS require any special paperwork (ATF) or is it considered just another shotgun?
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:02:31 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is true but if something looks scary such as the spas well if someone breaks into your house and they see it after they shit there pants I think there gonna run rather quickly. The again any gun would make a home intruder run unless he has a gun then maybe not.

How scary it looks will not send a thug running peeing his pants when he is intent on doing you harm.  The only "scary" gun tactic that worked for me was warding off a guy snooping.  He was snooping, maybe even doing a little recon, but the shiny Marine shotgun satisfied his curiousity.  There was another time (same location, different guy), but the gun (handgun) was scary because the hammer was cocked, it was pointed right at him, and it was about to go off.  The thug wasn't even phased by this, but his buddy who was not intent on harm saw what was about to happen, grabbed his thug buddy, dragged and threw him in the car, and sped away.  All other times the sight of a gun has done absolutely nothing to neutralize a situation.  What neutralized the situation was verbal persuasion or flight.

The best way to stop a thug is by delivering a payload of lead swiftly and directly to his head.  This can be done with a $1300 semiauto, or a $50 single shot.  Having a gun will not save your life.  Shooting and training with a gun, knowing its limitations and yours will!  

2guntom
454 Casull +
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:16:30 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Does buying a SPAS require any special paperwork (ATF) or is it considered just another shotgun?

If you live in a state that doesn't have any special laws about specific weapons, no it would be like buying any other gun.

But, I am only aware of one Spas12 that was imported since the Import Ban of '89, and that was a fluke.  The import ban stopped the importation of semiautomatic weapons in 1989.  No more Spas 12's.  Further laws specify that imported semiautomatic weapons have to fit a "sporting" profile.  It further specifies that pistolgrips and magazine capacities above 5 rounds on an imported shotgun are illegal.  Hence, if Franchi was still making the Spas12, it could not be imported.

The ones that were brought in before the ban are now extremely rare and high priced.  The cheapest I've seen one was $900.  That was just one time.  The usual going rate is around $1500.

2guntom
454 Casull +
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:19:00 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I had one too - for the money, I'd recommend buying a Fabarm or Benelli.

+1,000,000

If someone offered me the choice of either a Remington 870 or a Franchi SPAS-12 for FREE, the only reason I would choose the SPAS-12 is so that I could sell it to some unsuspecting person and make a nice chunk of change.

I owned two SPAS-12 shotguns -- both folder and fixed stock versions -- but I bought them back in '88 or '89 when they were extremely cheap. I soon learned that were bulky hunks of metal and I ran out of newbies to impress with them, so I sold them for a premium. Now I own a Benelli M1014 and haven't looked back. If you really must have a dual-action shotgun, buy a Benelli M3.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:56:06 PM EDT
[#17]
The two happiest days in a mans life............

the day he buys a Spas-12

and

the day he sells his Spas-12

hell for the money buy a Benelli. It is just reaking with coolness.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 12:54:37 PM EDT
[#18]
If you could buy one with synthetic stock and new safety in great condition for $700, would you?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:56:45 PM EDT
[#19]
I wanted to be able to say ever see that movie Jurassic Park remember the guns in the bunker well this is what it was. It is also pump and semi and i always thought that was cool.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top