Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2006 6:35:40 AM EDT
Am going to get a new shot gun would you go benelli m4 or FN police auto loading?? have the tacticalFN pump gun thought the FN auto would be nice addition      Posted by: DHart

I just picked up the new FN Self Loading Police (SLP) today. When I first saw it I was very impressed with it's compact size, look and overall build quality. This is one danged cool personal defense/home defense semi-auto.

Having recently had a great out-of-the-box experience with a new Winchester SX2 Practical Mk I, I had high expectations of this SX2-based shotgun. (FN Herstel of Belgium is the owner and builder of FN, Winchester, and Browning firearms... these shotguns are built by FN in Belgium, using the same components which make up the Winchester SX2 Practical - except the shorter, 18" barrel. I wouldn't be surprised if the FN SLP and Winchester SX2 shotguns are built on the same line.)

Here are the specs:

http://www.legendportraits.com/Images/Guns/FN_SLP.jpg

• Winchester Super X2 3" magnum action
• 13.5" LOP polymer stock
• 18" barrel
• Piccatiny rail with ghost-ring sights
• black parkerized phosphate finish
• 7-shot capacity
• compact overall length 38 7/8"
• Invector choke equipped (2 chokes supplied)
• soft recoil gas-operation
• 2 gas pistons supplied to tune the action to the desired load (one for less than 1 1/4" oz loads, one for 1 1/4+ loads)

The gun is capable of firing up to 5 shots of full power 00 buckshot in about 1/2 second... one could potentially empty the gun of it's 7 shots of 00 buckshot into a life-threatening attacker before the first empty hull even hit the deck... pretty amazing. And all you have to do is focus on the target and pull the trigger... then repeat as rapidly as necessary. Very simple, awesome firepower.

I'm really wowed by today's semi-auto shotguns. I believe that if kept clean, well-maintained, and loaded with quality factory ammo of adequate power... such a shotgun is unsurpassed for home defense. While semi-auto shotguns can be a bit less forgiving than pump guns of not being cleaned and maintained and do tend to prefer more powerful charges for utter reliability, I think that's a small price to pay for the amazing simplicity and firepower they offer vs. pumps. Fortunately, FN/Winchester supply their FN SLP and Winchester SX2 shotguns with two gas pistons to enable reliable operation with a wide range of shotgun loads.

Personally, I have no problem keeping my guns clean and well maintained, whether they be pumps or semis, revolvers or pistols. But just for interest sake, I'm refraining from cleaning my 1100CM, Winchester Practical, and this FN SLP until about 200 rounds.

Don't get me wrong about pumps, I have two pump shotguns and I think they're great guns. But tactically, given various scenarios, I think pumps come up short compared to a quality semi-auto. Once a good quality semi-auto has proven it's reliability to you (250+ rounds with zero failures) it's tough not to make it the #1 choice for home defense. More training and range failures are associated with short-stroking issues on pumps than with semi-auto shotguns. Pumps can't be operated one-handed, nor are they easy to operate from a lying position. Some shooters are so stressed during training or shooting that they either forget to operate the pump or short-stroke it. Some tactical shotgun trainers advise that in less highly trained hands, a good semi-auto shotgun is most likely more reliable than a pump. That, of course, presuming the gun is properly maintained and fed proven quality ammo of sufficient power.

In a home defense situation where you may be unlucky enough to have to face two or more armed and intent perps, being able to launch 00 Buck with super high speed and the simplicity of just acquiring the target and pulling the trigger repeatedly and rapidly can make the difference between instantly "stopping" the attack or being shot yourself. I'm finding that semi-auto shotguns are unsurpassed among other defense choices in self-defense.

on they are suppose to cycle real fast. any input?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:16:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I would say go Benelli... but I am not a fan of the citizen version of the M4. So because of practical and features my vote is for the FN.

Just out of curosity why isn't the M1 / M2 Benelli an option?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:39:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:49:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I say go with the Benelli M1 S90 tactical i love mine to death. Best shotgun i have ever owned period, also its the only autoloader that i would trust my life with when SHTF.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:38:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:00:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I say FN.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:13:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I shoot a Benelli M4 with a conventional stock and I really love it.

It has the same specs as the FN SLP so it's pretty much impossible to say which one is better.

I vote for the Benelli because it looks cooler.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:18:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I've never used the FN but I love my Benelli M1.  I've trained with the M4: all 6 or so of them we were using were unreliable and couldn't get through an entire magazine without malfunctioning. The gun was too heavy and didn't balance well, and the stock didn't work for me to get a good cheek weld. This was a few months before the Iraq war began, I think October 2002. I have one friend who used one during a firefight in the first week in An Nasiriyah; he didn't mention having a problem with his. I don't have any other experience with them or knowledge about them, but I would never buy one. But my Benelli M1 is accurate and fast and has never malfunctioned, and fits me perfectly. Not to mention it doesn't get very dirty or require much lubrication.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:33:55 PM EDT
[#8]
M1M1M1M1M1M1M1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:38:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Benelli !!!!!

M1 or M3.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:02:42 AM EDT
[#10]
+1 for the M1. I love mine as it is incredibly reliable, fast and fun to shoot!
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:06:18 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Benelli !!!!!

M1 or M3.

get the m4, there are some high dollar originals on slae on gunbroker if ya got hte cash, they even have the collapsible stocks now
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:15:44 AM EDT
[#12]
A vote for the FN.  I have one.  Love it.  Not to say I could overshoot an M1 or M4, but the FN is so damn fast.  I like the look, feel and the sights.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:06:42 AM EDT
[#13]
I vote the M4... I have one and it'll feed anything... I swear I could pickup a 12 gauge rock at the range and it would feed and cycle... I'm sure the FN is great but I'll keep the M4..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top