Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/15/2006 8:55:29 PM EDT
I don't know the make and model of it.  I'll be able to figure all that out whenever I actually get it.  The problem is, it hasn't been shot in a LONG time.  There is a rust build up on the barrel, and I'm sure some rust internally.  What is the best way to get this cleaned up and safe for use??  I will post pictures of it as soon as I get it home.  I'm looking to do all the work myself (I'm a tinkerer, and want to start learning more on guns; already done some work on my Ruger 10/22), so I don't want to bring it to a 'smith if it can be helped.

Thanks for the advice.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:26:11 AM EDT
[#1]
I owuld just use some CLP or whatever to clean it up.  Remove the trigger mechanism and clean it up.  Clean the barrel and if youthink you to, have a gunsmith look it over.   Some old shotguns are pretty valuable, so I would definitely find out as much as you can about it so you can make a proper decision as to what you intend to do with it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:00:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I would suggest a gun smith and a solvent tank.

It's one thing if your .22LR blows up in your face - it's another animal all together if it's a 12 gauge.

Love those family heirlooms
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:57:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I have an old WInchester Model 12, 20 GA that belonged to my Great Grandaddy.  I have not shot it 5 years or so.  I figure its something to pass on if I ever plague the world with my offspring.  I say clean it up and leave it alone.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top