Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/9/2006 9:30:02 PM EDT
Hi,

I want to build up a Remington 870 Police gun. So far I'm not having any luck finding one. basically I'll be replacing the barrel, stock, and foreend. So I just need the receiver and misc. other parts. Is there anywhere I could piece one together? How do I tell from pictures it's a real police model? If I can't buy the parts seperate, what should I be on the look out for?

Is the police gun THAT much better than a standard 870?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:08:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Buy a express.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:27:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks but that really didn't help me out at all??
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:24:12 PM EDT
[#3]
It will say 870 Police Magnum on the side of the reciever.

It is a better shotgun than the express. Hence the price difference.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:20:19 PM EDT
[#4]
The newer guns say "Remington 870 Magnum Police" on the left side of the receiver.
The older police guns were marked simply as Wingmasters, and were just Wingmasters with a satin blue or parkerized finish, and an oil finished, un-checkered stock.

You can usually ID a Police gun, new or old by the shorter police-length forearm with it's grooved gripping surface, and the un-checkered stock with it's dull oil finish.
Commercial guns have the longer, checkered fore end and the checkered stock, usually with the shiny "Bowling pin" finish.

Both the Wingmaster and the Police receivers are better quality than the Express, with a smoother finish, and no burrs or machine marks.

For your project, you can use either a genuine Police model or a Wingmaster.
A Wingmaster is fairly easy to find, much more so than a good used Police-marked gun.
Since you intend to replace most everything other than the receiver, a Wingmaster is will do nicely, except it won't have the word "Police" on the side.
Price-wise, Wingmasters in good condition are usually cheaper and easier to find than Police-marked guns in the same shape.

Bottom Line: The Express is an 870 with a down-graded finish and some plastic parts to lower the price to compete with the cheaper to make Winchester and Mossberg guns.

The Wingmaster and the Police are basically the same gun.... One with a shiny commercial finish, one with a dull finish.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:08:01 PM EDT
[#5]
If you know someone with an FFL, I would try a Remington LE distributor first.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:51:59 PM EDT
[#6]
My ffl is a cop....I wonder if he'd help me out?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top