Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2005 7:23:42 PM EDT
My roommate wants to get her fathers (deceased) shotgun from Provo Utah to Boise Idaho.  How do we do it?  The mail, if they would ship it, might not treat it so well so I was thinking about an FFL transfer?  I know it would cost a little but it would be nice to know it is safer.  I guess it is just in a gun sock in a safe with no case.

We would drive down to get it but she doesn't have a vehicle and mine wouldn't be safe to take that far.  She thought about trying to get someone to drive it up, but decided that no one would so why ask.

Any ideas would be very helpful.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:31:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Legally, you may HAVE to go with an FFL.
Interstate transfers of guns pretty well REQUIRE shipping it to an FFL in the state where you want it to be.

A good idea is to buy an inexpensive hard gun case at Wal-Mart as a shipping container.
This will protect the gun properly.
You can then wrap the case in heavy paper and plenty of tape.

I'd recommend talking to a local FFL in the state where you want the gun to be shipped to.
He'll be able to give you all the details.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:53:02 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Interstate transfers of guns pretty well REQUIRE shipping it to an FFL in the state where you want it to be.

A good idea is to buy an inexpensive hard gun case at Wal-Mart as a shipping container.

I'd recommend talking to a local FFL in the state where you want the gun to be shipped to.

Im with him.
Unless you are gonna go pick it up. That will be your best bet.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:07:22 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Im with him.
Unless you are gonna go pick it up. That will be your best bet.

+1 - there's wisdom in those words...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:52:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for conferming my suspicions.  I figured I would have to go through an FFL.  Are there any legalities in moving it from state to state?  My roommates mother might be able to bring it up also.  I would prefer that option as far as cost and more importantly, the safety of the gun its self.  I guess it has a scope on it (I have never seen it) so I would be worried about that even if it was in a case.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:34:32 AM EDT
[#5]
If the firearm is now legally hers, due to inheritence, can't she ship it to herself?

From BATFE's website FAQs:

(B10) May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity? [Back]

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the state where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

Granted she isn't hunting, but the "other lawful activity" clause fits....the basic theme is the lawful owner may ship interstate to themselves for their own use.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top