Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2005 5:22:48 AM EDT
I shoot left handed. I cannot hit the safety with my thumb without completely changing my grip and/or moving the barrel of my shotgun off target. Using a Vang Comp dome safety has helped a bit but the situation is still not ideal. I want to switch the safety around so that I can operate it with the trigger finger of my left hand.

I have a Remington 870P trigger group.  So far, my buddy and I have found that a Wilson Combat safety seems to work when reversed to the left side. The Vang Comp safety, however, does not work.  I would prefer to keep the Vang Comp because, having used both, I prefer it to the Wilson.

Is it possible to use the Vang Comp safety from the left side? Does the conversion require a gunsmith's know how or are there easy to follow directions posted somewhere to which I can refer? Reminder, this is a Remington 870P trigger group.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:03:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Another option for consideration…

I have an 870P, purchased from Vang (2 yrs ago), and also am a left handed long gun shooter. I happened to be passing through the Chino Valley a little over a year ago and stopped in to talk with Hans about switching to a left handed safety. It’s my understanding that the change can be made however, it’s not a simple reversal of parts on recently manufactured 870’s (someone please clarify if I’m not correct). I decided to try a Speedfeed IVs (butt stock with pistol grip) and was quite pleased to find that the ergonomics of the pistol grip allow me to manipulate a right handed jumbo safety without a problem. I also had the same challenge with a 7615P. I equipped it with a Speedfeed IVs as well.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:34:41 AM EDT
[#2]
MadMax,

Thanks for your response.  I have a SpeedFeed IV-S on my 870 already.  It certainly makes the manipulation easier than if I had a conventional stock but I'd still prefer using my trigger finger.

Your conversation with Hans reinforces what I suspect to be the case.  I think the switch would involve drilling  a new hole.  Certainly this is beyond my skill level.

I guess I'll try out the Wilson Combat on the left side and see if I prefer it to the Vang Comp on the right side.

By the way, I will be at Gunsite in March.  I plan to stop in and visit Vang Comp while I'm there.  I've already had them work on my 870's barrel (non-ported).
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:52:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Gunsite in March? There's only one better time of the year... Gunsite in November! If you have a chance have dinner at the Hassyampa Inn in Prescott. Better yet, stay there if time permits.

Please let us know how the new safety works.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 2:49:55 PM EDT
[#4]
MadMex,

I was at Gunsite last March too.  We had perfect weather all week.

After fiddling with intalling the different safeties for lefty use this evening, I have decided to leave the Vang Comp dome safety installed on the right side.  The VC safety just plain doesn't work from the left side at all and the Wilson safety works but requires a lot of extra pressure to push through and is very rough.

I may contact VS when they open again after their holiday break to see what, if any, remedy they have devised for this situation.

Thanks again for you input.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:42:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Used to be Michaels of Oregon (Uncle Mike's) made a left hand safety conversion that was a direct swap for the factory button.  I put one in a buddies 870 Express HD for him.  He got it at a local gun store.  Might be worth checking around for one.  Also, I think you can get a left hand 870P trigger group from Brownell's if you wanted to spend some money on your fix.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:08:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Mike_AK,

Thanks for the suggestions.  I checked both the Michaels/Uncle Mike's website and Brownell's website.  Not 870 safties at any of the Michaels companies and no left hand Remington 870 trigger groups at Brownells.  I will double check my Brownell's paper catalogue when I get home.

Thanks again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top