Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2005 5:37:57 AM EDT
I was sighting in my Slug gun for late season deer with a new 2-7 B&L 3200 scope.  I was originally shooting 2 3/4 Foster slugs and I got the shotgun sighted in at 100-yards.  I had a single box of 3-inch foster style rifled slugs and I decided to see where these hit at 100-yards now that the shotgun was sighted in.  

Well, I was trying to be careful about my target aim so I had the shotgun on sandbagd with a single finger on the top of the barrel to help steady the shotgun on the bags.  

Well, I touched that bitch off and the shotgun hit my shoulder like nothing I have ever shot before and the scope cut me and cut me good.  I have about a 1/3 radius cut on my eyebrow and nose and after I did it at first I was just stunned by the recoil and I looked down to see the blood dripping from my forehead...

I have shot many big rifles over the years including a 300 Win Mag I used for years and a 375 that a buddy has and that friggen 1-oz slug out of a 3-inch 12-gauge shell recouled like nothing I have ever felt before.  I decided I will not be shooting any more of these from a bench and leaning into the shot and if I ever decide I want to shoot another of those I might not want any scope on the shotgun at all...

I have a pretty good  bruse on my shoulder from the deal as well...

Oh yea, the shotgun was a Remington 870 and I have the factory standard hockey puck recoil transmitter... The slugs were the 3-inch standard 1-oz slug cat # SP12MRS.  I still have 4-left in case a Coastal Brown Bear invades my home in SE PA...  

So, that was my stupid shooting experience for 2005...  barely got it in before the year ended!

ETA:  The 3-inch slug hit about 1.5-2 inches higher then the 2 3/4 inch slugs for those that were curious...
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:45:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Wow!  Sorry about your pain and thanks for the warning.

You know, if I was more of the smart aleck type, I would write something like: "This post is useless without pictures."  Good thing I'm not like that though.

Hope you heal well.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:50:28 AM EDT
[#2]

Sorry, man..

I saw some old hillbilly do that at a public range here back at the beginning of deer season.  The difference was, he shot a box (5) slugs before he quit.  5 minutes or so between shots for him to recover from getting smacked in the snot locker.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:50:57 AM EDT
[#3]
LOL...  I did think I would share some pics but I am afraid someone would photocrop my ugly mug onto Lootie...  That would be a stupid mistake on my part...  
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:02:39 AM EDT
[#4]
"Don't creep on that scope......bang....told ya......"

Sorry about your luck man, I bet that feels wonderful too.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:07:09 AM EDT
[#5]
I did the same thing this year... but it was with a scoped .243 pistol.

I usually don't worry about recoil much when shooting rifles, and I hadn't shot this pistol in a while.  So I put it on the bags at almost arms length, and was paying more attention to squeezing off a perfect shot than keeping a firm grip on the pistol (as I do with the rifles).

That thing jumped straight back all the way to my face and cut the bridge of my nose and between my eyebrows... split it wide open.  My eyes watered for 10 minutes.

We had to reschedule our family Christmas photo shoot because of it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:27:19 AM EDT
[#6]
hey you arent the only one I know to go through that
after I just sighted in my barret someone wanted to give it a try
I warned about getting too close to the scope and then
bang!
tatooed eye
I did warn him a few times before pulling the trigger
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 12:28:29 PM EDT
[#7]
First time I ever shot my buddies .30-06. Lucky I wear glasses, otherwise blood would have been dripping.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 12:39:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I had a .338 RUM standard BDL700. I got me and and another guy at the range. One bad mofo

I sold it and bought a PSS in .300RUM.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 11:29:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 11:37:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Yea it is insane...  I have always been a fool when it comes wo wanting the bigger gun when I was younger as I started hunting when I was 12 with my fathers 257 Roberts but by the time I was 13 I had bought my very own 7mm Rem Mag.  I never managed to smack my face with that but after getting my teeth knocked loose for a couple years I went to my namesake and bought a 25-06....  Some years passed and I used a Rem 700 Sporter in 300 Win Mag for deer and bear but still never cracked a skull shooting...

I am sure that it was all because of the monkey behind the trigger and a comple lack of respect for what I was sending out the ned of the barrel but that single round has given me a very real respect for just how much energy is being shoved out the end of a relatively light shotgun...

Yup...  that's me  ---->>>  

I am starting to wonder if I should have went to the doc and got a couple stiches as it has been two days and the bugger still wants to bleed a little...  Oh well, it lets out the evil spirits right
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:38:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quarterbore, I did the same thing in the following thread:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=11&t=401956
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:43:20 PM EDT
[#12]
I do a fair amount of deer hunting with a 12ga 870 with a fully rifled, pinned barrel - and a VariX II 2-7x33 Shotgun scope... I've never shot anything other than 3" sabotted slugs out of this shotgun, and I've never gotten nicked by the scope - that scope has around 5" of eye relief, which is a BIG plus for a hard recoiling gun... Also, I bought a Past recoil sheild awhile ago, and it's been money well spent - with it, in short sleeves, it provides the same stock fit I get with my hunting clothes - and really tames felt recoil with the 12ga and my .300WM...  Lastly, a 3" 12ga Remington Slugger puts out around 3,000 ft/lbs of KE at the muzzle - that's no joke, bud - but I've gotta say that I've never felt recoil while shooting a deer...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:12:39 AM EDT
[#13]
I feel your chagrin...  I did this pulling the t-case out of my wheeling rig.  One of the bolts was stuck and when it let go it popped me in the forehead.  For a while the joke with my wheeling buddies was "Nothing says Okie wrench-fest like an open head wound!"

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:09:58 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I feel your chagrin...  I did this pulling the t-case out of my wheeling rig.  One of the bolts was stuck and when it let go it popped me in the forehead.  For a while the joke with my wheeling buddies was "Nothing says Okie wrench-fest like an open head wound!"

128.83.80.200/taco/headwound.jpg

That's a frigging creepy photo, man.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:20:52 PM EDT
[#15]
That sir is a no shitter... Sory for your pain. I was telling a Kid at the range that he better choke up on that handy rifle... .Bam! Shure enough you two have matching scars.  Ouch. I butterflyed the cut on his eyebrow, and it healed fine. Almost as bad as the guy who put his thumb behing the desert eagle 50AE rental. Slide cut the way to the bone. OUCH OCUCH OUCH!!!
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:13:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Yea, I never got slide bite but I have seen what it does...  My scab is almost gone but as for the pic above.. I had about 3x as much blood on my face as it cut my eyebrow and just wouldn't stop bleeding and I wan not about to stop shooting so my face was a mess when I got home...  the wife laughed at me
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:57:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Federal makes a 3" 11/4 ounce 12 guage Foster slug Max load that is the most brutal thing I have ever fired (especially from a sandbag). I bought three boxes when they were on sale at Wally World. I had just finished cutting an old plain Mossberg barrel down to 181/2 inces and installing rifle sights. The first shot thumbed (the back of my thumb) my nose, but not quite enough to cause a bleed. The second shot detached the right ear bar from my glasses at the hinge. The third shot split the safety knob on the Mossberg (talk about too stupid to quit). The fourth shot started hurting my shoulder and I'm a pretty big guy. I shot 2 more and had to quit for the day. I had other weapons I wanted to check the zero on but I was too tender in the shoulder to do it. The next day I had one heck of a bruise. I had to send the Mossberg to the factory because due to their liability bullcrap they would not ship me the safety knob to install myself because I hadn't been through Mossberg Armorer school. The pump was an older model 500 that was originally equipped with a plastic safety knob. The replacement safety slide was metal plus they installed a new magazine tube and bolt plate for free. I still have some of those slugs and gave some to my brother-in-law to shoot. He shot one or two and let his friend shoot one and put them away. He did ask me where the heck I bought those shells. I still have a partial box left just in case an elephant escapes from the circus.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:13:00 PM EDT
[#18]
BOOM headshot!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top