Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/26/2005 11:45:46 AM EDT
I got a great deal on a 590, and I want to build a 14" sbs out of it. Anyone know where I can get a 14" barrel for it? I can re-thread the magazine tube, but I need the barrel.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 12:30:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Just have a gunshith cut the barrel. You will need your returned form 4 first of course.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 12:48:16 PM EDT
[#2]
If a smith cuts the barrel, how will they attach the magazine tube support. Could he cut it off the exisiting barrel and silver solder it on? At that point it would sound cheaper to just buy a 14" barrel.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:53:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I forgot about that. Maybe attached the same way as the bead and then soldered. Mossberg put it on there so it must be possible to duplicate the same procedure.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:29:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Cutting the barrel down aside,

Factory Mossberg 14" shotguns have a shorter slide assy's so a factory 14" barrel will not fit on your 590 without using the SBS's slide/action bars. Good luck finding a factory 14" barrel and slide assy, Mossberg will not even think about selling you parts.
I was thinking of doing exactly what your thinking of doing. In the end It was easier to buy a factory SBS.

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:20:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks Underdog!
I had forgotten about that completley. I think I'm going to go the cut down method and refit the tube retainer at the lead of the handle. Which will give me a 14.7" barrel, but what the hell, for the cost I got the gun I can live with it. Besides I don't think anyone on the other end of it would be too upset with it not being a factory barrel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top