Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2005 7:48:04 AM EDT
Ok to make our 12 Gauge Mossberg more friendly for my wife I was going to upgrade the recoil pad and I wonder if some kind of porting would reduce the felt recoil?  The barrel is just the plain Jane 18.5" home defense barrel.  Anyone have any experience with this kind of modification?

Thanks

Rob
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:53:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I hear vangcomp systems are the best. I have an older 18'' bbl that was magnaported and I could never tell the difference. Although, porting a barrel is supposed to reduce felt recoil and allow for quicker follow-up shots The excess gas travels through the porting to alleviate recoil. I would suggest looking into a Knoxx stock as I hear they reduce the felt recoil up to 85%. It would probably be the better investment.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:34:13 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Ok to make our 12 Gauge Mossberg more friendly for my wife I was going to upgrade the recoil pad and I wonder if some kind of porting would reduce the felt recoil?  The barrel is just the plain Jane 18.5" home defense barrel.  Anyone have any experience with this kind of modification?

Thanks

Rob

I would go with as suggested above. I have the Vang comp porting and a knoxx stock and its a real joy to train with an 870.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 11:35:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 1:27:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I have been checking that Spec-Ops stock out.  I have this Mossberg already and would rather just keep it and try and "tame" it.  Maybe that stock and the use of 2 3/4" shells would work?  I forgot about the loudness factor and ported barrels.

I have been thinking about the 20 gauge youth gun.  I hem and haw for various reasons.  I have the 12 already, getting more ammo for yet another caliber gun.  Yada-Yadda  Hell it's just money.  I've never shot a 20 gauge.  Is the recoil 50% less than a 12?  40, 30, 20?  Generally?

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 1:35:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Aside from modifications to the firearm itself, have you tried a reduced-recoil round?  The Federal Tactical line of 2 3/4" ammo works pretty well.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 2:12:26 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Aside from modifications to the firearm itself, have you tried a reduced-recoil round?  The Federal Tactical line of 2 3/4" ammo works pretty well.

That's what I was thinking.

Use lighter loads.  You don't need hunting rounds for home D.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:44:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Damn another thing I didn't think of.  I'm glad I asked here!  I like the Knoxx stock for the ability  to tailor the LOP so I may end up getting that and trying the low recoil Tactical rounds.  From Goolge-ing it I see some say it is pretty "soft" shooting.

Again, thanks for the excellent advice.  AR15.com comes through again!

Rob
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:48:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I took a lady friend shooting once. She found it very comfortable to shoot my little brother 870 youth model.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:02:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Knoxx is your friend.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:07:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I have both ported and standard barreled shotguns and I don't think the porting reduces recoil at all. It might help keep the muzzle from rising some. Even then its a minor difference. You will go a lot farther reducing recoil using those reduced velocity loads and a good recoil pad. Adding weight to the gun also reduces recoil. There are a number of weight adding accessories typically marketed to clays shooters for this purpose. Some of them go in the buttstock and others screw on the end of the magazine tube.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:07:59 PM EDT
[#11]
knoxx
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top