Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/22/2005 1:02:56 PM EDT
I just bought it for $240.  Took it shooting and it functions perfectly.  It was obviously not a safe gun and was probably used in the field.  Lots of surface stains, tons of built up crap on thebolt and in the receiver.  It looks like it ws oiled a lot but not cleaned if you know what I mean.  Now do I refinish or keep it original?  Anyone have a link to a manual for this thing?  

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:16:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Link to A5 manual (It's a pdf file)

Thats a nice old gun! I'm on the lookout for a Belgium Sweet 16 or Light 20  myself.

Several of the action screws (and those lock screws) have a very narrow slot. Before you start turning any screws on it you'll need a set of extra thin bits. Brownells has them, other may also.

IIRC the safety being front of the trigger dates it as being made prior to 1952 (but I may be wrong??)

The engraving looks like the gun has been re-blued before so refinishing or not is up to your preference. Me, I like an old gun like this one that has a little "character" to it. I'd clean it up and shoot it as is.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:24:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Yup you stold that!!!!  The barrel ser#should match the reciever ser#,and the rounded knob pistol grip plus the Browning St louis(and not Montreal also)on the receiver date it as well!!!!

The butt plate is probably not original(probably came with horn or plastic FN marked!

It has been re-blued or worked over heavily with steel wool and oil!!!

It's still one of the finnest shotguns made and will last your family many generations!!

I would have given at least 100 more for it!!!

Bob
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:40:46 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Yup you stold that!!!!  The barrel ser#should match the reciever ser#,and the rounded knob pistol grip plus the Browning St louis(and not Montreal also)on the receiver date it as well!!!!

The butt plate is probably not original(probably came with horn or plastic FN marked!

It has been re-blued or worked over heavily with steel wool and oil!!!

It's still one of the finnest shotguns made and will last your family many generations!!

I would have given at least 100 more for it!!!

Bob

The recoil pad simply reads "Jostam MFG CO" enclosed in a triangle then "Anti-Flinch Recoil Pad" and "Patented 1918 1927."
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:36:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Very nice buy there Dace! I have a 1964 Light Twelve and it's been through hell. It's truly a great firearm. You can get the original buttplate on Gunbroker for around $10 I believe, but that's only assuming you care about it. If you want a physical manual, call Browing and then you'll ship you one for free within a week. 800-333-3504 Well, enjoy your new A5!
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:06:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:55:51 AM EDT
[#6]

His gun looks just like your gun...

Wait, you are him with another gun for sale...?

The same gun with 2 different guys...?

The same guy with 2 different guns...?

I'm so confused...?

Two nuns walk into a bar...?

(If it was just a 16 I'd bite...)

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:07:53 AM EDT
[#7]
I am not a blue steel/wood kinda guy, but that thang is dang sweet!!  

I would clean it well and keep as is, unless you find parts that are very worn or damaged.

Congrats on the shottie!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top