Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/18/2005 7:49:55 PM EDT
Hey guys,

Well I finally was able to get to the range today and check out my speedfeed IV-S stock and Advanced Tech pistol forend on my 870. well while looking awesome..my hands are tore up.
The pistol fore end I figured would beat up the webbing of my hand some..and well it did but also split my hand near my pinky..so its gonna go What fore end would you guys suggest? This is both my HD gun and she see will be seeing the range ALOT more as well. Im lookin at either the Hogue overmold or the speedfeed fore end are either one worth a damn? also the surefire front end is looking better to me as well so opinions about it would be awsome too.
Now my stock is great however outta habit I "choke up" on the grip and my middle finger rides in the "groove" under the trigger housing and after about 100 rounds today my hand is blistered where the "hump is" under the trigger. so Ill probably will be chucking that outa the window as well.
Any one have any opinion on the Mesa Tactical AR-15 conversion? what about the Advanced technologies pistol grip for an 870?
Now I wanna go ghost ring sights so the "low" mount conversion would be my best bet no?

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:11:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Surefire 618FA on my Rem870, and wouldn't even consider using a shotgun for HD without one.  It is absolutely essential to have some form of light when you're planning for how to defend / secure your home.  Having one directly attached to your weapon, one which can absorb the violent recoil, is infinitely better than trying to hold one in your hand.  Think about it, if your off hand is busy holding a flashlight, how many hands does that leave available to operate the shotgun?  Also, by having it attached to your weapon, you can use your support hand to do some simple functions, such as opening a door or reaching for a telephone.  Also, if you're in a hostile environment, your weapon should always be pointing in the same direction as your eyes, it's much easier to remember that if your means of seeing what you're looking at is attached to your weapon.

Additionally, I currently have a Mesa Tactical low-rise adapter on my 870, which is equipped with Scattergun Tech tritium sights.  It is very comfortable.  I thought the recoil might be a little harsh, but it isn't.  It is not noticeably any worse than with my Speedfeed III.  Although, once I get my next 870, it will be getting the Mesa adapter / AR stock, and the Speedfeed will be going back on my HD gun.  I'm planning to do so because my next 870 will be getting registered as a SBS, and I want the ability to make it as short as possible without going to a PG-only or folding stock configuration.

A PG only shotgun is cool for a few rounds at the range from time to time, or as a CQB breaching weapon.  (I am awaiting approval of my AOW transfer as I type.  It's solely intended as a "because I can" fun toy.)  However, they are awkward for much else, especially for serious "social" work.  They are difficult to aim properly and recoil tends to be very aggressive.  I would whole-heartedly recommend against using one for HD.  If you absolutely must have as short a weapon as possible, without getting into the NFA arena, buy a folding stock.  Just remember, the stock folds for storage and is meant to be unfolded for use.  (Personally, I'm not much of a fan of folding stocks.  I don't feel as they do enough to tame the recoil.)

Hope that helps,
Frank
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:25:22 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I have a Surefire 618FA on my Rem870, and wouldn't even consider using a shotgun for HD without one.  It is absolutely essential to have some form of light when you're planning for how to defend / secure your home.  Having one directly attached to your weapon, one which can absorb the violent recoil, is infinitely better than trying to hold one in your hand.  Think about it, if your off hand is busy holding a flashlight, how many hands does that leave available to operate the shotgun?  Also, by having it attached to your weapon, you can use your support hand to do some simple functions, such as opening a door or reaching for a telephone.  Also, if you're in a hostile environment, your weapon should always be pointing in the same direction as your eyes, it's much easier to remember that if your means of seeing what you're looking at is attached to your weapon.

Additionally, I currently have a Mesa Tactical low-rise adapter on my 870, which is equipped with Scattergun Tech tritium sights.  It is very comfortable.  I thought the recoil might be a little harsh, but it isn't.  It is not noticeably any worse than with my Speedfeed III.  Although, once I get my next 870, it will be getting the Mesa adapter / AR stock, and the Speedfeed will be going back on my HD gun.  I'm planning to do so because my next 870 will be getting registered as a SBS, and I want the ability to make it as short as possible without going to a PG-only or folding stock configuration.

A PG only shotgun is cool for a few rounds at the range from time to time, or as a CQB breaching weapon.  (I am awaiting approval of my AOW transfer as I type.  It's solely intended as a "because I can" fun toy.)  However, they are awkward for much else, especially for serious "social" work.  They are difficult to aim properly and recoil tends to be very aggressive.  I would whole-heartedly recommend against using one for HD.  If you absolutely must have as short a weapon as possible, without getting into the NFA arena, buy a folding stock.  Just remember, the stock folds for storage and is meant to be unfolded for use.  (Personally, I'm not much of a fan of folding stocks.  I don't feel as they do enough to tame the recoil.)

Hope that helps,
Frank

Thanks hethe stock..the mesa tac unit is about to get the thumbs up.
However Im looking at my speedfeed..and well Im thinking about modding it some.
Increasing the groove the trigger group slides into to fit and  shortening the joint where it butts up against the receiver and extending that lip (if that makes sense) so it draws the handle closer to the trigger group eliminating that small gap thats eating up my hand and will allow me to use the stock with no problems.
I need to sit down with the dremal next weekend and play
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:46:07 AM EDT
[#3]
I have been using the Hogue forend for quite a while now. I think it is the most comfortable yet still
gives a grip on the market. I have tried speed feed, choates and quite a few others but NONE give the grip and the comfort. For rear stock my first chpoce would be the Knoxx spec ops or compstock depending which style you prefer. I have both and love them.Brownells has good pricing on them and has them in stock. They really kill the recoil. Mesa makes a good looking stock adapter but for home defense those
ar-15 stock adapters are really unnecesary. A lot of money that could be spent somwhere else or on a specops that will keep you from being beat up. I agree light is necessary but $400 for a surefire?? I drilled my hogue forend and put pictany rails on it close to the barrel. It works good. I then added a streamlight m3. Total cost less than $100. If i had it to do again I would go with the m3x.  I would also add a side saddle or other way to carry extra ammo. Ghost rings?? How big is you house. For years I carried nothing but a bead front site and could shoot slugs at 50 yards. I use standard rifle sights on most of my social shotguns cause they were equipped that away. My home defense guns all have bead sights. For defense you aint going to be shooting some one at over 25 feet much less yards. If you want to change them go to a fiber optic or tritium fron sight both are under $20.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:24:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I too have a Surefire 618FA on my Remington 870 and I really like it.  The controls are easy to use and the illumination it provides is amazing.  

I also have the SpeedFeed IV-S and have not experienced the problems you report.  In fact, I think it is the best shotgun stock I have ever used.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:16:24 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I too have a Surefire 618FA on my Remington 870 and I really like it.  The controls are easy to use and the illumination it provides is amazing.  

I also have the SpeedFeed IV-S and have not experienced the problems you report.  In fact, I think it is the best shotgun stock I have ever used.

well that fore grip will be added soon unless I decide to get something else with a rail system onboard the grip. but I love the look of the sure fire. however the flashlight doesnt come "out" of the fore grip does it?
I dont feel like beating the hell outta it while im at the range.

well the speedfeed is great it feels better than the "older" style advanced tech grip my friend has onhis 1300. however that small gap between the rear of the trigger housing is killing me..I guess its my small girlish hands
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:18:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

...however the flashlight doesnt come "out" of the fore grip does it?

v-a:

yes, the light body can be unscrewed from the foregrip.  surefire makes a housing plug (P/N A11) to cover the hole, but it costs $20.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:45:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

...however the flashlight doesnt come "out" of the fore grip does it?

v-a:

yes, the light body can be unscrewed from the foregrip.  surefire makes a housing plug (P/N A11) to cover the hole, but it costs $20.

oh hell im on it then!!
once the x-mas shipping craze dies off Im ording one!!
you got a link for that plug? ill check their site and see what i can pull up
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:23:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:38:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
v-a:

SureFire A11 link

yeah I caught that...just made me make a final decision.
however I want this model but jesus christ $400 is a little steep there...but i want the ability to kill off the system for when shes put up or at the range etc etc.
now for those who have the other models that dont have the "kill" switch how do you like it without the ability to kill off the system at will?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:49:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Surefire forend, just as you were told above.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:11:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Surefire forend, just as you were told above.

everyone loves that surefire :)
well once the holiday rush dies off ill order one. :)
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:43:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:25:01 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Check with Calvin at Brightflashlights or Grant at G&R Tactiacl...both in the Industry Section...either will happily give you great advice for free, and both can do MUCH better than SureFire's price on these fore ends.

thanks a ton man ill see what I can do. Ill PM the both of them later on
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top