Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2005 10:59:21 PM EDT
My Benelli M1S90 Tactical spent a day or two in a damp case and I now have surface rust on the barrel, front and rear sights (ghost rings) and on the end of the mag tube.  How can I remove the rust without harming the finish?  What size wrench do I need to remove the front sight?

My 10/22 was right next to it in its own case (it rained on them) and did not rust at all, so now I'm concerned that the Benelli is rust-prone.  Has anyone else had problems with rust?  Or is it just a fluke regarding which weapon got wetter?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 1:50:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:50:48 PM EDT
[#2]
also try a phosphor bronze brush with breakfree. removes rust well without removing bluing.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:57:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 12:37:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I like to use brass wool instead of steel wool.  I've heard (but can't confirm) that steel wool has the possibility of imbedding tiny (microscopic) pieces of steel on the surface.  Since the steel from the steel wool is not finished those microscopic pieces will rust in the future.  Brass wool doesn't have this problem.

It probability isn't a huge concern, but since brass wool is about the same price as steel wool and works as well I figured why not.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 12:04:25 AM EDT
[#5]
The steel wool and CLP removed the rust on the sights and mag tube without removing the bluing, like you guys said, but I have always assumed that the barrel was parkerized or phosphated or something besides blued.  Is it actually blued or, if not, will the same method work on the barrel without damaging that finish?

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 1:13:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top