Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2005 9:43:16 AM EDT
I picked up a Citori 12ga O/U at a gun show.  The serial number ends with H47.  First I want to confirm that this is a 1974 gun.  I don't know what the chokes are, the guy said Skeet/Skeet.  Is this marked anywhere under the forend?  Any one know anything about Citoris made in the era?
I can say the receiver is plain but nice shiny bluing and it lockls real tight.  the only wear is on the trigger face and steel grip area behing the trigger guard.  Thanks a lot.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:48:28 PM EDT
[#1]
It's a Citori 12ga O/U skeet gun.  As for 1974, that was the first year that the Citori was offered in a skeet or trap model.

Now the real question, you do plan on only shooting skeet with the shotgun, since it is opened choked way too loose for anything thing else.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:21:01 PM EDT
[#2]
you might be able to have one or both of the barrels "sleeved" to get some choke. there might even be enough meat there to thread for tubes.  how wide is the rib on that gun? is it narrow or is it as wide as the barrel.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:35:29 PM EDT
[#3]
OK I looked this up for you  - its on the Browning web site.

The chokes are identified by the number of notches cut into them.

1 notch = Full
2 notches = Improved Modified
3 notches = Modified
4 notches = Improved Cylinder
5 notches = Skeet
no  notches = Cylinder

When you get to be my age its hard to read the notches so then you buy Briley extended chokes with the color rings and BIG LETTERS....
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:40:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I pulled off the forend and "S" was stamped on each barrel near the receiver.
As for the "meat", the tubes measure .050" walls at teh muzzle.  You smithys tell me if that is enough to thread for screw in chokes.  Those Briley tubes are awesome but dang they are expensive.

I really will shoot mostly skeet with this 26" gun but I like it so much already it would be nice to have some versatility.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:16:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Kolar standard tube are a little cheaper, but since chances are you picked up the shotty for less than a grand, can't see dropping another $1600 getting it tubed in a full set.

But $425 would get you a 20 gauge choked tube set for bird shooting with the 26" barrels.

kolararms.com/products/KolarServicesPriceList2005.pdf

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:46:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Heres some additional info about Browning choke symbols. After re-reading your post I realize you don't have screw chokes.

According to "The Browning Superposed" by Ned Schwing the barrels are marked as follows.

Full Choke               *
Improved Modified   *-
Modified                  **
Improved cylinder   **-
Skeet                     **$
Cylinder                 ***

Maybe you are seeing the "$" marking?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top