Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2005 2:40:32 PM EDT
Well she arrived today from Arizona Gunrunners. Upon opening her I was greeted by a VERY short
stock...it was alot shorter than I expected. I brought my 870 Express outta its case popped the stock buttstock off and compaired the pads in my hand. The speedfeed is very "soft" I cant really describe it better...but it was much more giving than the Remington one.
the install was straight forward. Install the two washers in the rear of the stock and screw into the receiver. The buttpad put a small slit in it for the screws to pass through and screwed the pad down.
Now the speedfeed pad is more "sticky" than the remington one so shouldering my baby "felt" a little different because of this..but nothing major.
Well once I got her assembled and shouldered ready for a small dry fire excerise with a couple snap caps. The first thing I noticed was that when they say shortend they mean it..my 870 now feels like a midget..and well its VERY comfortable.
Now since I work all this week I wont get any range time till around sunday Id like to ask the members who have this stock. How different does it shoot over the stock one?
I know on my buddies 1300 with an advanced technologies pistol grip shooting 3in mags was actually comfortable. I know recoil is different for each person but was there a noticable difference when you changed over? Also does the "softer" pad material actually feel better against yoru shoulder than the Remington pad?
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 5:31:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I cut / filed / melted a bull nose on the upper high point edge of the pad to keep it from hanging up on my clothing when mounting. The pad material doesn’t fashion very neatly, therefore I used a hot iron for a cleaner finish after sculpting. A thorough wipe of the butt end with Armor All Protectant will reduce the stickiness. It’s difficult to determine how much of the felt recoil is reduced from the butt pad versus the pistol grip ergonomics. Either way, I like it much better. My first experience with the pad was at Gunsite. We shot the hell out of our guns for several days. No pain. No problems.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 7:09:45 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I cut / filed / melted a bull nose on the upper high point edge of the pad to keep it from hanging up on my clothing when mounting. The pad material doesn’t fashion very neatly, therefore I used a hot iron for a cleaner finish after sculpting. A thorough wipe of the butt end with Armor All Protectant will reduce the stickiness. It’s difficult to determine how much of the felt recoil is reduced from the butt pad versus the pistol grip ergonomics. Either way, I like it much better. My first experience with the pad was at Gunsite. We shot the hell out of our guns for several days. No pain. No problems.

id like to see a pic of your stock there dude.
I figured armor all would work however when I'd rather not use it if i can. Ive seen it dry out rubber based products as strange as it seems. so i dunno what ill do...but it doesnt bother me to much since i can relearn how to shoulder it. also i know recoil is different for everyone but for YOU when you went from the standard stock to the speedfeed how was it for you? less of an ass kicking to your shoulder etc etc?
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 2:27:21 AM EDT
[#3]
My 870 Tactical Magnum came with a SpeedFeed IV which has a 14" LOP.  I immediately replaced it with a SpeedFeed 1V-S whcih has a 13" LOP and then, instead of installing the rubber butt pad, installed SpeedFeed's SWAT butt plate which is a thin plastic plate.  The LOP is now 12" and the butt plate doesn't stick to anything because it is hard plastic.

I really like this set up.  My 870 is much easier to maneuver, etc.  Despite the lack of a soft rubber butt pad, there is absolutely no more felt recoil with the SWAT butt plate.  In fact, there may be less.

By the way, I am 6" tall with average length arms.  I don't  find the 12" LOP too short.

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:55:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Does anyone find the pistol grip too "blocky?"  I wish mine was less square and more oval especially around the top near the safety...the button is almost blocked.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:14:08 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't find the SpeedFeed IV pistol grips blocky.  In fact, I think it is just about perfect for my hand.  That may be the issue... each hand is different.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:38:21 AM EDT
[#6]
I love my Speedfeed IV.  I bought it installed it and the first time I shot it was 5 slugs as fast as I could (still staying on target, specifically fired fast to test my Hogue forend).  Doesn't have near the felt recoil of the factory stock.  Absolutely no after effects.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top