Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2005 2:45:53 PM EDT
After years of searching iv'e finally aquired the finest combat shotgun ever made.A pre-1975 Ithaca 37 Featherlite with a 20 in. barrel and 8 shot tube.All forged steel and walnut goodness with NO trigger disconnect in one of the lightest yet most rugged shotguns ever made.Tommorow morning i'm going to hold the trigger back and slam 9 rds downrange ,GET SOME !!!!
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 3:06:08 PM EDT
[#1]
PICS???

Forgive my ignorance, educate me on why a pre 75' is your cup of tea?
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 3:08:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I have been looking for a nice 37 featherlite for awhile now.

Did you hear that Ithica went out of business like 6 months ago?
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 3:23:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I was rebuilding one this last year, I could get the 8 shot tubes, but not the barrel.  Aggravating.

75 I think is when they went with the totally interchangeable barrel system ain't it?  Before then it was each barrel fittted to each reciever.  Mine was found in a landfill, it works now, just need a stock.

Mine has the disconnecter, it is cool.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 3:25:16 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
PICS???
why a pre 75'?

Most of the newer pump shotguns have a trigger disconnect after a shot is fired for safety reasons. With the old Ithaca (and I think older Winchesters) you can just keep the trigger pulled while you rack the slide, gun will go "bang" when pumped forward.  The Ithaca 37s reputation is ledgendary among the "old school" crowd. Plus its just cool!
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 3:38:27 PM EDT
[#5]
hehehe.  I have this same gun (pre '75) but with shorter barrel, and only 7rnd mag.
Good enough for me.

I like it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 4:41:00 PM EDT
[#6]
How much did you pay for it?
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 5:08:28 PM EDT
[#7]
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!

You found the HOLY GRAIL!!!!!!!

Now when you rack the slide in the dark............
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 5:50:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I HAD a Ithaca Police Special. It came from the factory parkerized, 20" barrel with an 8 shot mag tube. I also had with it a factory 20"full choke barrel.
The gun was stolen and I ended up giving away the extra barrel.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 9:50:42 AM EDT
[#9]
I used to own a Ithica 37 20" 8 shot pump. It was a nice shotgun but it kicked like a mule. I did like the lack of a trigger disconnect and it was a lot of fun to blast off 8 rounds.

I traded that Ithica for another gun but now I wish I had it back. Sad part is I can't remember which gun I traded it for.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 8:07:57 PM EDT
[#10]
You guys gotta remember the pump shottie has been out since at least 1897.  They have not changed that much in 100 plus years!!!

Pass me my Benelli so I can do some double and triple taps........................damn out of ammo again!!!
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 9:10:19 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

250 bucks!! A whole lot of people can look at it and think it's just another old pump gun.If it don't say Bennelli or have a heat shield it must be a dated piece of shit.But you set e'm up and she'll knock'em down long after a plastic fantastic has choked.My gun is nearly 40 yrs old but you rack the slide and she's smooth as silk.Forged of steel,with the kind of workmanship that is a testament to a bygone era.Built to last several lifetimes.She's not a sexy Italian or a Wunder German, she's a blue collar All American ASS KICKER. Nothing fancy but she get's the job done,day in and day out.   Can you tell I really love this gun?
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 5:29:14 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

250 bucks!! A whole lot of people can look at it and think it's just another old pump gun.If it don't say Bennelli or have a heat shield it must be a dated piece of shit.But you set e'm up and she'll knock'em down long after a plastic fantastic has choked.My gun is nearly 40 yrs old but you rack the slide and she's smooth as silk.Forged of steel,with the kind of workmanship that is a testament to a bygone era.Built to last several lifetimes.She's not a sexy Italian or a Wunder German, she's a blue collar All American ASS KICKER. Nothing fancy but she get's the job done,day in and day out.   Can you tell I really love this gun?

I got one of these, a WWII era Property marked Savage riot gun, and a WWII era Property marked Savage trench gun. All without the disconnect.

And damn if I don't love them all just a little more than my modern Mossbergs. Everything you say is correct. My older guns just have something special to the workmanship. They're smooth as glass, and I know they'll hold their own side by side against all the new toys.

Plus, they're all steel. My shoulder feels better at the end of the day.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 6:03:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Sounds awesome...  My Uncle gave me an old Ithaca when I was 12 or 13...  My Mom sent me to his house to get a cup of sugar...  I came back with a cup of sugar and a shotgun!  Ever since then I have wanted one of the 7 or 8 shot versions without the disconnector.  Never found one yet!  For $250 that was a steal!  Now you need to read "Point Man" by James Watson - he was a SEAL in Vietnam and swore by the Ithaca with a duckbill shot spreader.  His story about being confronted by an Air Force colonel about his shotgun is priceless.  Great book!

Spooky
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top