Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/7/2005 3:41:39 PM EDT
Has anyone ever seen or  used those "dragon breath" or "flechete" shells. Im sure the flechete shells would damage the barrel, but i dont know about draogn breath. I saw people selling them at the last gun show allong with some other shells i dont usally see at the gun shop.  They sounded cool but didnt know if they were ok or if i should stay away.

Thanks for the imput.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 4:02:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I would imagine the dragon breath would hurt your barrel more than flechettes. Never tried either but don't plan to. They don't do anything for me.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 1:24:53 PM EDT
[#2]
The only ones I have actually tried are the 'bird bombs'
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 4:37:13 PM EDT
[#3]
These "gimmick" shotgun shells are just that:  Useless gimmicks sold to people who just want something "cool".

Flechettes were tried in Vietnam, and proved to be a failure.

The problem is, they're needle-like aluminum or sometimes steel darts, that have almost no mass.
Although they carry pretty far, they don't penetrate very well.
Half of the Flechettes are packed into the case backward to allow more to fit in.
Many of these fail to stabilize and hit sideways, so they don't penetrate at all.

The big problem that turned up in Vietnam was, even people with fatal wounds often didn't know they were hit until they eventually collapsed from internal blood loss.
The low mass needles simply have no striking power.

Yes they are often fatal.......eventually.
"Eventually" is not something you want in your face some dark night in your living room.

The "Dragon's Breath shells are not only useless, they're ludicrous.
Precisely what use do they have, other than to impress the boys at the range?
They have no self defense use, and think about trying to explain to a court all about how you shot someone with one.

Again, all these "trick pony" shells like Flechettes, flame shells, rubber balls, "Bolo" rounds, and other junk are useless in the real world, expensive, and sometimes damage your gun barrel.

NOTHING says "Stop that, leave us alone" like a load of standard buckshot.

Also should you actually have to shoot someone, you won't have an entire courtroom looking at you like you're got three heads, or like you're dressed like Adolph Hitler.

Link Posted: 10/10/2005 6:51:03 AM EDT
[#4]
What does a "Dragon's Breath" actually do? They name makes me think flame thrower.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 2:03:44 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
What does a "Dragon's Breath" actually do? They name makes me think flame thrower.

Exactly,  the shell is made up of I think white phosphorus that ignites upon being fired.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top