Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/5/2005 5:09:25 PM EDT
I about to get some glass to run on my 590A1.

Of the two mentioned which has the best performance as far as general target aquasition.  I have an Aimpoint  mounted on my AR-15 and have shot an AR running an Eotech but I have not had the chance to run both on a shotgun. I would like you imput on the use of either of them on the shotgun platform.

I'm also looking for a good pic. mount for my 590A1.  The top of the reciever is tapped with for hole for a mount.

Benjamin
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:44:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I am also considering adding an EOTech to my shotgun, not a 590A1, but an 870 Police #4407.  The 870's do not come drilled and tapped from the factory so I am considering either the EOTech saddle mount for about $50, or the badger ordnance 870 mount which would cost $150 installed plus about $30 in shipping cost so $180.  I could save alot of money with the saddle mount, but then I would not be able to mount one of those 6 shot side saddles that are so popular.  So I don't know what I will do yet.

Now which is the better sight.  I had an M68 mounted on my M4 when I was in the army, but I think when I decide to order I am going with the EOTech because it seems to be much better technology.  Wider field of view, shoot with both eyes open, nite vision capabilities with the 550 series, and AA batteries on the 552 and 512.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:49:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I would actually use an EOTech for this. Its a faster reticle indoors. The aimpoint has the advantage past 50m, but thats the limit of buckshot effectiveness anyway.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:51:07 PM EDT
[#3]
ex_soldier, you can shoot the M68/Aimpoint with both eyes open and FOV is a non issue. Also, the EOTech may be laser based, but the CET diode in the Aimpoint has 50x the battery life.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 10:20:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I have both an Aimpoint and an EOTech.  I MUCH prefer the EOTech on my shotgun.  The large reticle is very fast up close and is consistent with the shot pattern.  I'd use this at up to 25 yards, prehaps even as far as 50 yards with shot.

The central dot is used for aimed shots using slugs at longer ranges (such as 50 to 100+ yards).
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 10:50:04 PM EDT
[#5]
If my bushnell holosight xlp ever shows up, I'll give ya a review on that as well. It sits lower and was designed for the shotgunner. I had problems with my eotech on my shotgun, as it was just too high for a natural pull. Hopefully the xlp will be the ticket. The Eotech recticle is the absolute best for a shotty, as the 65moa ring gives a good representation of the shot pattern.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 11:00:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Most shotguns are "patterned" at 40 yards on a 30" circle.  That circle, oddly enough, is fairly close to 65 MOA!  The EOTech outer circle is, again oddly enough, 65 MOA!  I think we have a match here.  So you can pattern your various chokes at 40 yards, and you'll know what percentage of pellets will be inside that 65 MOA cirlce.

I'm not a fan of the EOTech, I much prefer the Aimpoint sights.  BUT, I think the EOTech is probably the best choice for shotgun because of the reticle.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 1:52:02 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I'm also looking for a good pic. mount for my 590A1.  The top of the reciever is tapped with for hole for a mount.

Benjamin

www.mesatactical.com/product_info.php?cPath=26&products_id=75

That's one version they carry. They have a higher profile one as well.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:32:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Do you have a "high mount" style AR stock on your shotgun? If not, the effective comb might be too much with the Eotech.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:58:11 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Do you have a "high mount" style AR stock on your shotgun? If not, the effective comb might be too much with the Eotech.

No, it's a low mount. So I'm going with the low style that Skrapmetal posted a link to.

To the rest of you guys thanks fo your imput.

I can't wait for this work in progress to be finished.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 4:31:52 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, it's a low mount. So I'm going with the low style that Skrapmetal posted a link to.

I was refering to the mount for the stock which either puts it in line approximately with the mag tube (low mount) or the mount for the stock which puts in in line with the bore approximately (high mount).
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 4:08:03 PM EDT
[#11]
MY rig is great. If you had to pick the gun up for HD you dont even have to turn it on becuase you could just look right thru the EoTech window and see your target. I have used it up close and out too 300 yards with slugs so far. NO BS, I have a witness. I have not try to Aimpoint on my 870,but I think the Eotech was the best choice because of he rectical it has. the sight is the perfect height on this mount.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 4:12:30 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was refering to the mount for the stock which either puts it in line approximately with the mag tube (low mount) or the mount for the stock which puts in in line with the bore approximately (high mount).

OK

I'm going to be fielding the new Knoxx pistol grip stock with the low recoil system.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 6:04:55 PM EDT
[#13]
M4-TUNA,
What kind of mount is that, who makes it, what is it made of, how sturdy is it.  I was thinking of having my 870 drilled and tapped for a rail but that one there does not look too bad.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 8:00:40 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
If my bushnell holosight xlp ever shows up, I'll give ya a review on that as well. It sits lower and was designed for the shotgunner. I had problems with my eotech on my shotgun, as it was just too high for a natural pull. Hopefully the xlp will be the ticket. The Eotech recticle is the absolute best for a shotty, as the 65moa ring gives a good representation of the shot pattern.

Ridley,
Which holosight did you get, the universal rail mount or the one that mounts directly to the 870, 1100 and 11-87.  If it is the direct mount can you tell me how it mounts and how sturdy the mount is.
Thanks
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 8:25:52 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
M4-TUNA,
What kind of mount is that, who makes it, what is it made of, how sturdy is it.  I was thinking of having my 870 drilled and tapped for a rail but that one there does not look too bad.

It is made by Millett. Check Midwayusa.com
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top