Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/5/2005 1:48:11 PM EDT
You may remember my problem in the other thread: www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=1&t=188442

Basically, I had an issue with my 12 gauge Remington 870 Express Magnum home defense model where it would occasionally "stub" a shell into the bottom of the chamber. Somehow, the bolt would pin the shell against the bottom of the chamber before the shell was fully lifted by the shell carrier. I don't know why the shell carrier wasn't fully up and we never figured it out. However, I thought I had solved the problem after cleaning the trigger group and I couldn't get the gun to replicate the stubbing at home after numerous attempts.

I thought wrong.

Today at the range, I shot 25 shells and 1 shell stubbed. I wasn't pumping it too fast. In fact, I thought I was pumping at a moderate-fast speed. The shell lifter didn't completely put the shell into position before the bolt pinned it against the bottom of the chamber.

If you haven't already done so, please take a look at the old thread to see what we've gone through so far. Take a look at the pictures and the video too.

At this point I'm completely clueless. I don't know what the problem is. Nothing seems broken, yet this is a reoccuring problem.

I demand reliability from all of my guns, and the irony is that I thought this gun was my most reliable gun. Yet my Glock and AK-47 have not malfunctioned a single time.

Anyway, I would appreciate any help, feedback (from people who have had similar problems), advice, suggestions-- ANYTHING. I'm really grasping at straws now. If someone would like to walk me through some trial and error, that would be great too.

My shotgun is just a few weeks over a year old so the warranty just expired. And to send this gun to a Remington repair station, plus the parts and labor, would cost as much as a new gun. So I'd like to solve this problem on my own, and that's why I'm looking for someone to walk me through... I'm not afraid to open up my gun and tackle it with a hammer and file if need be.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 4:48:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you called Remington.  Don't email, try calling.  Explain the problem and tell them that it began before the warranty expired.

I know if I had a malfunctioning firearm taht I bought new, I would contact the manufacterer and see if they woudl fix it for free (even if the warranty has exprired- it does happen sometimes) beofre I started trying to tear it up with home tools and no clue of waht was wrong.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:01:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I think I over-reacted in that last post. I'm certainly not going to attack the gun with a hammer. But that certainly describes the frustration I'm feeling.

I also went on the Remington website and found out that it's a 2 year warranty (at least on the website). So I'm going to call them tomorrow and go from there.

The crazy thing is, I don't even know IF it's a problem... could it be me or the shells instead of the gun? I don't know.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:48:28 AM EDT
[#3]
UPDATE: I called Remington, and it turns out my gun is under warranty-- the warranty is for two years, not one.

They were going to have me ship my gun out to a repair center, but then they asked if I'd be interested in dropping in some new parts myself and see if that fixed it, and I said I would.

So they are sending me a brand new carrier assembly, free of charge.

That's what I call excellent customer service.

Now if I can just get this problem fixed-- God willing, those new parts will resolve the issue.

As soon as I install the new carrier assembly and take the gun to the range, I'll give you guys another report.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top