Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/4/2005 7:17:14 PM EDT
Why are these shotguns so much $ ? Are they reliable? Is it worth the extra money over an 870 ?
Thanks
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:22:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I've always wanted one, but heard they are a major pain in the A$$. Lots of FTF and overall problematic firearm. Otherwise...I'd have bought one a LONG time ago. On the positive side, they are bound to go up in value a great deal. They are getting rare.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:23:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Spend  your money for a good 870. And stay away from a spas
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:39:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Yea thats what ill end up doing. For that kind of money i could get an 870 with alot of upgrades.  Thanks guys
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:55:18 AM EDT
[#4]
I used to think they were the coolest shotgun ever.... because of their appearance in movies. I handled on in a gun show about a year ago and what a frick cumbersome beast that thing is. I'd buy one only after I have every gun I want right now and had nothing better to do with my money. It would look cool on a wall in my hidden gun room that I don't have.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:24:14 AM EDT
[#5]
We have one in our armory we seized from a BG many years ago.  I've played with it a few times and my impressions were that is is freaking heavy, unnecessairly complicated, and doesn't seem to have any real advantage over a basic 870.   I wouldn't buy one and no longer have any desire to fiddle with the one at the department.

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 2:24:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I've owned two over the years -- one fixed stock and one folding stock version. They are cumbersome to say the least. Good luck finding replacement parts. That said, I parted ways with both of them and don't even miss them.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 11:16:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I want a Spas12. They are what everyone says. Heavy, awkward, terrible ballance, and not uber reliable. Any Benelli shoygun is a better choice for about the same $$, BUT.........there's just something about that ugly mug that appeals to me. When i find one for a good price, it will look good in  my gun collection. However, I would NEVER recommend it to someone looking for an all around good shotgun. About the only thing the Spas12 does EXCEPTIONALLY well, is scare the fuck out of people
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 3:36:13 AM EDT
[#8]
I love my SPAS.  Sure it not a new, ergonomic, tactical, light, easy to use..whatever.

It's meant to be one of those great preban guns of the 80's, where the gun makers were making them as big, pissed off, and scary as they wanted.  The fun thing about the SPAS is that it's an overly-large cannon that scares the shit out of bystanders.  Makes a cool sound when you fire it too, a "chang" as well as the "BOOM"

Actually, alot of spare parts will be hitting the market soon, now that SPAS12.com is making some of the more breakage prone parts.

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:38:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Nooooooooooooo, not a shellholder sling!?!?!?
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 1:08:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Oh yeah. Cower in fear of the shell holder sling.

Damn thing is a piece of crap.  If you put the max amount of shells in it curls up.  I guess it was made for 16ga but it said 12ga on it when I bought it.  Blackhawk veitnamese craftsmanshit.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 3:32:25 PM EDT
[#11]
For some reason that scope makes it look LESS menacing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top