Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2005 4:45:24 PM EDT
The Mossberg I'm looking at is the military 590A1 with the 9-shot tube, heavy wall barrel, metal trigger housing, bead sight, synthetic stock (not Speedfeed) and parkerized finish.

Do most feel these are decent shotguns or would a Rem. 870 Police model be a better choice?

Also, my price will probably be in the $375-$400 range on a new one.  Is this a decent price?

Please let me know your thoughts,
Scott
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:54:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I own both a Mossberg 590 (two of them actually!) and a Remington 870P.
Both have 20" barrels and similar shell capacity.
IMO the Remington is a nicer gun. Smooth action and great finish.
Go and handle them both see which one you like best and then decide.

Sorry can't comment on the prices.

P.S. There is a reason I am selling one of my Mossbergs though..........it's to buy another 870!!
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 11:21:40 PM EDT
[#2]
The 590A1 is a very good gun.
After Mossberg's Model 500 failed to stand up to abusive police use, they went through an upgrade to try to build a gun that would.
The 590A1 is the result.

I personally think the Remington Police Model is the Cadillac in defense shotguns, but the Mossberg will serve you quite well.

The 870 Police Model is harder to get, and costs more.

Bottom line is, about 95% of all American Law Enforcement use the 870 for the reason that it has a 55 year history of taking whatever abuse you can give it and keep working.

Mossberg doesn't have that reputation, but then you're not going to abuse a gun YOU have to pay for, either.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 11:37:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, that's somewhat disheartening.

A few months back I sold off my like-new parkerized 870 Police Magnum that was ordered from the factory with black synthetic stock and mag. extension by Kiesler's for me.  It was nice but I was thinning the herd to buy other stuff.  Now I'm wanting a 12 gauge again.

Oh well, live and learn.

Thanks guys,
Scott
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:18:14 AM EDT
[#4]
I have no issues with my 590A1, love it in actually. I also like my 870 and 500. I have never had an issue with my 500's 'cept for replacing the safeties. Hard to beat.

BK
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:35:14 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I personally think the Remington Police Model is the Cadillac in defense shotguns, but the Mossberg will serve you quite well.

I would compare it to a Dodge Cummins Diesel, much like a Timex watch, "it taks a lickin' and keep on tickin'."
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:46:46 AM EDT
[#6]
I personally prefer remingtons, maybe its just me I just like the feel of the gun beter...And the safty.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:52:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:04:45 PM EDT
[#8]
So essentially I should buy again what I sold off?  Ugh

I checked pricing and for a 18", 7-shot, parked, bead sighted, synthetic Police Magnum it should only be $25-$30 more than the Mossberg.

Thank you for all the input,
Scott
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top