Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/25/2005 10:20:09 AM EDT
I've pruned my collection a bit, and I've been thinking very, very seriously about adding another shotgun. As it stands, the two top contenders are the FN TPS and the FN Self-Loading Police Shotgun.

I'm already more partial to pump guns, and the regrettable legal inability to add a pistol grip stock to the SLP is steering me toward the TPS. But before I commit, I wanted to hear from those of you who have the latter.

Given that the TPS is based on the Win. 1300, I know reliability isn't an issue. So what I'm looking for are general impressions, handling characteristics, etc. I also have a few specific questions:

First, I've read some complaints about the sights sitting too high. Has anyone found this to be problematic?

Second, can a standard M-16 stock be fitted to the TPS? I've seen a lot of pictures of aftermarket collapsible stocks added, but never the full-length M-16 stock.

Third, how's the durability of the finish?

Fourth, has anyone tried using M-16 tritium sights on their TPS?

Thanks all.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:22:36 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
First, I've read some complaints about the sights sitting too high. Has anyone found this to be problematic? No, fine for me.

Second, can a standard M-16 stock be fitted to the TPS? I've seen a lot of pictures of aftermarket collapsible stocks added, but never the full-length M-16 stock. Not sure on this myself, but that not on my to do list.

Third, how's the durability of the finish? Very good, no complaints from me.

Fourth, has anyone tried using M-16 tritium sights on their TPS? Not yet, but it is on my to do list.

Thanks all.

You might want to add one of these.

Brent
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:27:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, Brent.

Is the recoil really that bad with the stock, or do you mean that the pad is just a good idea in general? It does look like the stock does have kind of a small footprint.

Overall, how do you like the way the shotgun handles? Good balance?

I really appreciate your take on the weapon. I don't have a ton of money to spend on weaponry (at least not while I'm in law school), so I have to try and research pretty thoroughly before I buy anything. Unfortunately, I don't have an opportunity to do any test-firing, as no one I know has a TPS.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:20:57 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Is the recoil really that bad with the stock, or do you mean that the pad is just a good idea in general? It does look like the stock does have kind of a small footprint.  It's a little stout with slugs, but I say it's just a good idea, yes 4 position CAR socks have small foorprints.

Overall, how do you like the way the shotgun handles? Good balance?  Good balance and it handles well, local PD tested them and Wilson Combat shatterguns with about a 50/50 split, officers that went with WC had 870 at home, other half perfered FN TPSs handling and feel, Chief had to do tie breaker vote and went with WC.

I really appreciate your take on the weapon. I don't have a ton of money to spend on weaponry (at least not while I'm in law school), so I have to try and research pretty thoroughly before I buy anything. Unfortunately, I don't have an opportunity to do any test-firing, as no one I know has a TPS.  I know the feeling about being short on cash, I owned and operated my own small apple orchard and worked full time, last year I sold out the orchard and put some of the money into a few guns, what a rush, I normally have to scrimp just to buy something used.  BTW SG was my tax return, it's nice to LOSS money in business.

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 2:05:09 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
First, I've read some complaints about the sights sitting too high. Has anyone found this to be problematic? I actually found the sights to be too low - I opted to forgo the C-MORE (got my TPS for $515 shipped on Gunsamerica) and added an OKO dot sight with the steel protective cage. This setup allows nearly instant target acquisition at 25yds.

Second, can a standard M-16 stock be fitted to the TPS? I've seen a lot of pictures of aftermarket collapsible stocks added, but never the full-length M-16 stock. Yes, you can add any stock that will work on an AR or M16. There is no buffer, so the "buffer tube" that ships with the TPS is actually solid. It's easily replaced, though, with a standard or CAR tube.

Third, how's the durability of the finish? The parkerizing is very high quality. No complaints and easy to clean.

Fourth, has anyone tried using M-16 tritium sights on their TPS? Not me. But be warned that the rear sight is not calibrated in any way.

Thanks all.

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:28:02 PM EDT
[#5]
CMMG has the TPS with an A2 stock configuration. Search on the page for "FN Tactical Shotgun w/A2 Stock."
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:26:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Man, you guys rock. Great information.

Use while wearing body armor isn't a consideration for me, so the full stock is probably the best option for me.

As far as the sights go, I don't know as calibration would be much of an issue. I'm just thinking in terms of setting up a system where the glowy bits would help the sights stand out when they're silhouetted at night when the light from the SureFire forend has the target illuminated.

If I decide to forego the SureFire forend, does anyone sell a barrel-mounted rail setup for the Win 1300? I've seen those for the 870 and possibly for the 590 (if memory serves), but not for the 1300.

Another thing -- Is there a Picatinny forend for the 1300 available anywhere? I'm kind of curious about the whole vertical foregrip thing, and that would allow use of both a light and a grip.

Once again, I just want all you folks to know how much I appreciate the various words of wisdom. Please keep it coming.

edited to fix lamentable punctuation
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:58:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Here's mine.  Since that photo I popped on a eotech, it got too heavy, so I took off the eotech and the ACE socom stock and popped the CAR stock back on and put meprolight AR nite sites on.  It's now just as reliable, a little handier and really just as quick to shoulder and fire.

Its still a weeeee bit heavy so thinking of a three point sling instead of a single.

that's one of the cool parts of this piece - so dang modular... but through it all I see hogue grips on these the most, its really a perfect grip for this.

ETA: try and make a foot joke I haven't hreard cause of this pic, JUST TRY!

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:22:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Sweet setup, chapperjoe.

Just curious -- what would you do for another sling attachment point? Barrel/magazine clamp? Just wondering because of concerns about keeping the sling clear of the light. I guess the need to keep the light unobstructed means that any kind of attachment to the magazine cap is out of the question (assuming that there is an attachment point on the magazine cap, but that's what it looks like from the pictures, anyway).

Is the TacStar sidesaddle the only one available for the TPS/Win1300? I had one on a Mossberg 500 and wasn't crazy about it. It would be nice if Mesa Tactical or someone else would start producing a shell holder for the 1300.

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:54:01 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Sweet setup, chapperjoe.

Just curious -- what would you do for another sling attachment point? Barrel/magazine clamp? Just wondering because of concerns about keeping the sling clear of the light. I guess the need to keep the light unobstructed means that any kind of attachment to the magazine cap is out of the question (assuming that there is an attachment point on the magazine cap, but that's what it looks like from the pictures, anyway).

Is the TacStar sidesaddle the only one available for the TPS/Win1300? I had one on a Mossberg 500 and wasn't crazy about it. It would be nice if Mesa Tactical or someone else would start producing a shell holder for the 1300.

there is an attachment at end of magazine, but I';m thinking about a side mount and some kinda between the barrels clamp.  we'll see.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 11:50:56 AM EDT
[#10]
It seems like FN Herstal is doing pretty well as far as remarketing the Win1300 goes. I'm hoping that this will translate into more interest by the folks manufacturing aftermarket accessories. There is, of course, a good bit of stuff available now, but the Win1300 definitely comes in at third place (after Remington and Mossberg) in this regard. A strong third, but third nonetheless.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top