Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2005 6:46:47 PM EDT
I own a winchester model 1300 defender in 12ga I have not had any malfunctions yet but The speed assist system on the weapon makes me nervous...any thoughts
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:40:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:42:15 PM EDT
[#2]
explain speed assist please, I am about to get one.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:49:05 PM EDT
[#3]
i have had my 1300 for 15 years with no probs! just practice with her and take care of her and love her and she will take care of you! i can feed her anything from the mini shells to 3"mag 00 and she chews them up and spits them out! she has been so good to me i am going to treat her to a knoxx specops stock.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 8:12:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 9:21:18 PM EDT
[#5]
You must become one with the SG.
Or if that don't work shot it until your shoulder's black and blue.  That won't make you less nervous, but ....

It'll be FUN

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:06:15 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I own a winchester model 1300 defender in 12ga I have not had any malfunctions yet but The speed assist system on the weapon makes me nervous...any thoughts

The Winchester Defenders work.  Take it out and shoot it, a lot.  We have 5 Winchester pump shotguns in the family that get shot.  They have had bird shot, slugs and 3" Nitro Mags run through them.  There have been zero issues.

Liken the rotating bolt face on your your Winchester to the similar rotating locking action on a bolt rifle (strength).  You should feel safe and confident.  The only nervous person should be the knucklehead badguy that makes you use it!

2guntom
2guntom.com
454 Casull  
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:43:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Don't let the SpeedPump make you nervous...  Just be sure to have your fore-end hand pulling back toward you during aiming and firing.  And as the others said...  Practice makes perfect.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:45:16 AM EDT
[#8]
The Speed assist is probably the biggest feature that sets the winchester pumps apart from all the others.

I'll try to explain it as best I can, but I remember when it was being explained to me it took several tries.

IF you shoulder a mossy or remmy, pull the forend, and pull the trigger, you will have to release the pressure on the foreend so the bolt can unlock before you can chuck another shell in...the winny unlocks immediately after the trigger is pulled and so a little back pressure on the forend and it will slide right n back after you fire.....

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:56:04 AM EDT
[#9]
it's the fastest, I've had one for 10 years, my dad has one from before I can remember. I have three of them, a defender(12g) and two rangers for hunting, one in 12g for wetland and one in 20g for upand. I usually take one of them over the 1100.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 11:53:03 AM EDT
[#10]
I love mine.  It's officially my super trusty shotgun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top