Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2005 1:40:02 PM EDT
I have been thinking about tossing the Benelli for an 11-87.  I have never shot an 11-87.  I would like to hear opinions from members that have experience with both.  The primary use will be shotgun matches.

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 1:52:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Well.

A lot of people will say get the Remington. Because we have a lot of Remington fans here. But IMO Keep the Benelli.

The Benelli is light, fast, and is very well built. I have five Benelli's, one is the Benelli M1 Practical. The Practical is made for 3 gun matches.
*10 shot tube
* 26"Ported Barrel
*Better trigger
*Ghost ring sights
*Over size safety
*Quick feed tubes
*Better spring
* 5 Choke tubes
All standard.

My friends have Remington 1100s and 1187s, some have the 1187 sporting clays. I have shot their guns, but you could not pay me to give up the Benelli for a Remington, or a Browning, or even a Beretta.

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:26:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:49:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replys.  Please keep them coming.

Quoted:
Both great guns but different. Benelli - recoil operated. Remington - gas operated. Both have good and bad points. High volume shooting, get a gas operated. MIKE.

Does gas operated = less recoil?  Could someone explain gas operation.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:51:06 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Thanks for the replys.  Please keep them coming.

Quoted:
Both great guns but different. Benelli - recoil operated. Remington - gas operated. Both have good and bad points. High volume shooting, get a gas operated. MIKE.

Does gas operated = less recoil?  Could someone explain gas operation.

Yes the Gas Operated=Less Felt Recoil.  The Benelli will require the use of "full power" rounds to insure reliable cycling of the weapon.  The gas guns function on most any appropriate round from low brass to magnum.   It is very difficult to shoot 25 magum rounds out of a Benelli M1 Super 90 and say....gee that was fun! Trust me...I've done it.

Regards,
Gary

Here is a good article which describes the operation and history of both recoil and gas operated shotgunss.......Article on Semi-Auto Shotguns
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:33:31 AM EDT
[#5]
I shoot trap loads in my M1 super 90 all the time without problems. My 11-87 had less felt recoil but was too heavy a gun IMO. Mine are both hunting versions but the actions are the same. If I shoot a bunch of 2 3/4" in the M1 without cleaning the chamber before going to 3" it will jam. Even with that I'd take the M1 over the 11-87.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:01:45 AM EDT
[#6]
After shooting both quite a bit there is no way I'd trade a Benelli for a Remington.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:32:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Did you have any problems with your Benelli? No? Keep it!

Walli
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:45:52 PM EDT
[#8]
LastDefender, thanks for the link.  It was a good and informative article.

I have own my Benelli for over 4 years.  I have never had any problems with my Benelli functioning.  There is always something out there better and that is what I'm looking for.  I would like to have less recoil and I like Wilson Combat Trak-Lock II ghost ring sights.  

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:13:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't sell the Benelli. You'll regret it later.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:08:46 PM EDT
[#10]
tag
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:48:15 AM EDT
[#11]
I like Remington but if I were to get a semi-auto, it would be a Benelli period.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top