Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2005 5:16:05 PM EDT
Is there any significant difference between the Winchester Defender and
the Remington 870 Express 18 inch.

Remington

Winchester
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:17:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Winchester has what is called a assisted pump action.  This means as you fire the shell, the pump action starts to move back on it's own.  Some like the idea, while others like myself are not really savy to the whole idea.

My choice is, and will be the 870 when it comes to a pump action shotgun.  Simple fact that it the 870 is the single best selling pump action of all time, and in regards to the express model, with just a TLC in the correct area's, the action can be made as smooth as a Model 12.  
And when the time comes for adding goodies to the shotgun, there are just way too many options avalble for the 870's then any other model out there.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:30:44 PM EDT
[#2]
IBTP....In Before The Poll...

I've got a Win 1300 Defender, with real wood furniture, and it's my baby. If I'm ever in need of something to clear the porch, I have no doubt in it's ability. I've even taken it clay-pigeon shooting, and have been the envy of the other shooters due to the shotgun's ability to turn 'em into powder.

I say Winchester. YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:35:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a defender.  I got it after using a friend's who had close to 10,000 rounds through his at the time.  It was the perfect gun for me, accepts abuse and, with practice, can be cycled almost as fast as a semi.

I have no experience with the 870, but there is a reason they are #1.

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:13:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I've used both and the 870 is the derection I'll go with every time.  I've got more experiance with it and like the way it's set up a little better.  both are good guns though.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:24:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought an 870 express and never even take my expensive shotguns out anymore.

I like the way the bolt/lockup is in the rem.

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 1:19:51 AM EDT
[#6]
I just purchased a new FN Police Shotgun (basically a 1300 Defender).  As said before, the bolt (of the rotating variation) disengages and pulls the slide back almost immediately after each shot is fired, so it makes for very fast action cycling.  However, not everyone likes that.  Personal preference mainly, but I enjoy the 1300 action.  I also prefer the safety in the front of the trigger guard opposed to behind it.  I feel the slide release is in a fair place on both the Remington and the Winchester.

If I recall correctly, here are some other differences:
1) 870 engages the bolt in the hood of the barrel whereas the 1300 engages into the barrel with four lugs. (Correction noted, thanks Dano523 and brentwal)
2) 1300 requires 1 pin be pulled to remove the internals, 870 has 2.
3) 870 has a steel reciever, 1300 has aluminum.
4) As also mentioned before, the 870 has a massive aftermarket following, however, the 1300 isn't too far behind when it comes to add-on toys as far as I've seen.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:58:28 AM EDT
[#7]
1. The rem bolt locks up in the hood of the barrel, and not into the receiver.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:54:31 PM EDT
[#8]
My first 12ga was a brand new 1300 Defender.  I took it to a SG class and it began double-feeding and malfunctioning immediately.  I'm sure mine was a lemon, but I've had an 870 ever since.  Also, the department was nice enough to send me to Remington armorer's school so I even have some extra knowledge on diagnosing and repaining the 870.

We have some pretty old and abused 870's in our cruisers and with just a little preventative maintenance they just keep going, and going, and going..........
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:51:20 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
1. The rem bolt locks up in the hood of the barrel, and not into the receiver.

1a. Winchester 1300 multi-lug bolt locks into the barrel with 4 lugs, much like an AR-15.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:41:15 AM EDT
[#10]
It appears that the overwhelming preference is for the 870.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:00:46 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
It appears that the overwhelming preference is for the 870.

All I've gotta say is, the 870 is the best selling shotgun of ALL time for good reason....

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:24:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Mossberg
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:41:44 PM EDT
[#13]
I have the Winchester.  Very smooth action.  I just wish there were more aftermarket goodies available for it.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:36:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Ummmm.... Get both?  
But to answer your question,  it really dosn't matter both are good.  The real question is which one is best for me.

I have a 870.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:30:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Both my father and I have switched unanimously to Winchester pump guns.  He has an 870, but we both agree the Winchester just seems to be a slicker gun all the way around.

IMO, the Winchester has a much smoother streamlined action, and has better oriented safety and bolt release.  Also, I like a winchoke system a little better.  for ease of getting them in and out... without a wrench if need be.

And yes, the speed pump does indeed work.  I took a tactical shotgun course not long ago and it didn't take long to find that out.  

Both a good guns, but there'd be no doubt in my mind which I'd get.  For the most part, a pump gun is a pump guns, et's the small things that make the difference for me and the Winchester just feels better to me.  

Gundraw
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:27:16 AM EDT
[#16]
I have both an 870 and 1300. I would get the 1300 Defender with full length stock and sights. It comes from the factory with almost everything that you need for repelling attackers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top