Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2005 8:41:40 PM EDT
Hey All,

More of a black rifle fella myself - but can't seem to get this shit eatin' grin off my face.

My 15 year old daughter came home and told my wife that she joined a club at school - little did we know at the time - its the High Schools Skeet and Trap.  Seems one of her girlfriends started doing it, and a couple of boys from the school are also encouraging her to go.  She went to the meeting yesterday, brought home the permission slip today.  

Now she's had some plinking experience by the way of air pistol in the basement and Ruger 10/22 action at the range, but now I think I have to expand "her" gun collection.  And certainly, we drill her religiously on safety.

She's 5'4", approximately 120 lbs - and I'm pretty sure we'll start her out with a 20 gauge.  Was considering a pump (Benelli Nova Youth), but am considering an O/U as well.  

Any recommendations?  Not looking in the Red Label price range, so any thoughts on lower entry lightweights would be helpful.

Thanks in advance  - from one proud Dad!
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:11:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Find a Winchester Mod 97 trench gun with bayonet.  She'll have those boys following her around like puppies.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:26:02 AM EDT
[#2]
First off, is she going to shoot trap or skeet?
The two are words apart in regards to shotguns.

For real trap, if she is not going to shot doubles, a BT-99 would be the right choice (less than a $1000 used).  If doubles, then you better start saving you lunch money, with combo O/U starts around $2000 used and goes up from there (read 682 being around the cheapest O/U combo you will find).

As for real skeet, depending on the school team (read if they just shoot one gauge or all four) this will dictate the shotgun.  If she needs to be rig'd up in 12, 20, 28, and .410, then your looking at an O/U with a tube set. A Briley tube set will set you back around a C note, so with a descent used shotgun like again, the 682, your over the $2500 mark buying a used O/U and a tube set.

If they are just shooting what shotguns they have (read 12 or 20 for both trap and skeet), then this could be solved by buying her a youth model berretta 391 in 20 gauge (read perfect shotgun for her fame and size).  The reason that I bring up this shotgun is that the stock is adjustable, and since the barrel uses screw in chokes, this shotgun could be used both for trap and skeet for her (not formal, but would be a good shotgun to get her started until she settles into one of the other).  The one down fall that does come to mind in regards to using a 20 for trap is depending on how they are shooting classes (read either as a personal standing or a team standing like in league), she could find here self back at the 27 yard handicap position, and to go clean for a round using a 20 gauge, she will have her work cut out.

To sum it up, you really need to spend some time taking with the school coach, and together, I'm sure that you will be find a shotgun best suited for her to both start out, and when the times comes, put a huge dent in the check book buying her that Perazzi, Kolar, or Krieghoff that she will just have to have someday.

(Note, Mike is going to die laughing when he read this due to the fact that HKgnnr is clueless to the amount of money he can drop into the sport really fast.  Hell, she may be his little daring, but consider that I shoot will college and high school shooters all the time,and these guys are rig'd up with the right rigs for the events, it's going to take more than his front pocket money to keep her up and running for the season.)
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:34:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Just to add, you really are out of the loop in regards to shooting trap or skeet.

In regards to the red label, it has got to be one of the worse platforms on the market in regards to these two events.

1. The trigger pull in both break tension and take up is the worse out of any shotgun you will buy.
2. When the action is opened, it will swing from side to side like a fence gate.
3. The shotgun recoils worse than any other O/U I have ever shot.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:11:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Maddog - I think the Win '97 is what I'll need to keep the boys away from her!

Dano, thanks for the very informative post.  To clarify, I do not believe it is a competitive league but an after school program started by one of the teachers.  It is being held at my gun club, and from the brief tour I was given, we are talking about both trap and skeet.  Theres two seperate fields, one with a single launcher on the shooters right - as well as a field with two launchers in towers, one on either side of the shooter with several 'stations'.  I am not sure if they will be utilizing both fields.  I'm sure they'll try their hand at both singles and doubles.

Several members are beginning shooters. My daughter has never fired a shotgun before I want to make sure she'll enjoy it (I can't see how she wont ) before dropping the dime on a higher end piece.

I will definitely look into the Beretta 391, and if I opted to go the 12 gauge route, any suggestions for a less punishing load?  I simply do not want her to get discouraged as a result of being recoil shy.

As for spending the cash - you said it - I've already done some searching and "wow"  

But in all honesty, I'd consider it an investment.  Her and I were talking a couple weeks ago with regards to her lack of interests.  This past summer all she wanted to do was hang out at the park or the mall with her friends - now she's had a major turnaround and wants to be involved in something.  Hopefully this will be the start of something and I'll encourage her every step of the way, even if it means clearing out the checking account

Thanks again for the posts fellas!

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:18:59 AM EDT
[#5]
I picked up an M1 Super 90 in 20 ga for the g/f. It works well and is the right size for someone with your daughter's build. Screw in chokes and all the bells and whistles, plus minimal recoil. It isn't an inexpensive gun though you can find them used for ~ $700.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:26:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Just asking but why can't you get her a pump? A Wingmaster in 20 would be nice and not too expensive.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:43:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Beretta AL391 Youth model in 20-gauge.  Simply awesome gun!  And a fantastic rabbit gun for any size person.  Handle one (or better yet, shoot one) and you will buy it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:08:49 AM EDT
[#8]
she needs a 12ga. ATA rules for trap stipulate a 12ga.

Dano's advice is spot-on. the ruger red label is GARBAGE. but personally i avoid the BT-99. i have one and its a fine gun for the money but its a 1 trick pony. i would personally get her a beretta A390 automatic. and get her the sporting model. if shes a new shooter starting out its better that she learns on a gun that shoots "flat" most trap guns and trapshooters prefer a gun that shoots "high" as in you hold under the bird, not dead on it. if she learns on a gun that shoots "flat" she will have a smoother transition into sporting clays and can shoot all 3 disciplines with the same gun.

recap:

beretta A390 automatic. this will absorb a lot of the recoil. 12ga trap loads dont kick like buckshot. she will be ok with it. and the A390 will only get you back $500-600 used.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:18:57 AM EDT
[#9]
A semi-auto has much less felt recoil.  I recommend a Remington 1100.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 12:34:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 12:55:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Remington 1100.  Not only it is a great shooter but its also beautiful to look at.  I got one in my safe that I'll NEVER get rid of.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 1:36:38 PM EDT
[#12]
A390 is the best choice with out spending thousands The auto action will reduce felt recoil. I see a lot of kids shooting very well with 12 bore  A390's
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:37:49 PM EDT
[#13]
HKgnnr,
If it's informal shooting, the 20 391 youth is the way to go.  Mike mentioned the 1100, but I tend to vear off such due to the butt stock not being user adjustable (the shotgun needs to be set up to shoot where she is looking, and with the adjustble stock on the 391, you can do this without the need of a smith. As for a 12 gauge, if she can shoot the 20 instead, it will save you a lot of grief in regards to light recil talyored loads, and getting one fitted down to match here body size/frame

Shotgun, for her to try and shoot doubles on the skeet range with a pump would be asking to much(read a skeet double off 3, 4, 5 is more than a handfull for most new shooters even when the second shot is automatic).

Mike,
Nothing wrong with a 686, I use a 686 sporting (upgraded wood with cast) as my hunting gun (read has a adjustable comb and magnaprot single line barrel porting).  The only real down fall to using one as a target gun is the FCG, like other lower priced units, since you can't just drop the triggers to clear/clean then if something goes south.

Is the 686 going to come with a tube set, or do you need have a set fitted from Briley/Kolar? My guess is even with the special deal, you still going to be around the $2500 mark, and for than price, there are just way to many other options on like-new, used fixed trigger units (read my choice would be a 3200 pigeon going for under $2000 with tubes).

Dostonirish67,
Do they still offer the 390 new?  Last I heard, they dropped the line and now only offer the 391.

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:42:30 PM EDT
[#14]
I know a 5'6" 90lb girl that uses a Benelli Sport in 12 Ga. for a college trap club.

The novas are a good gun too. It will serve you well, but I reccommend the auto. Its just funner to shoot.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:37:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Dano   I don't know if the 390 is still offered. I will ask next week when I am on the range. Either way the 390 or the 391 would be a great choice.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:23:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for all the replies fellas.

I called the dealer today, and will bring my daughter down there tomorrow morning. He is a stocking dealer for Beretta as well as several others.  I did a quick search on the 390/391 and saw that remaining stocks of 390s are still offered - as well as finding several 'used' ones in the $500 range.

The dealer stated that they didnt have a 'youth' section persay, but had several new/used 12s and 20s in various styles and they were pretty confident that something would suit her.

Way I'm thinking now - semi if we go 12, pump if we go 20.

Again, thanks for your replies and if we happen to be lucky enough to find one, I'll be sure to post a pic of her with her new found hobby
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top