Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2005 5:32:32 AM EDT
Guys, I'm trying to get my wife more comfortable with the 870 we keep.  Recoil is somewhat of a problem for her in 12 guage (she's 5'6" and about 110 soaking wet).  Any thoughts on the available recoil reducers?  What I'm looking at right now is the new R3 recoil pad from Remington, and maybe a Dead Mule reducer in the buttstock.  What say you all?  Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Dave
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:51:51 AM EDT
[#1]
A dead mule makes little difference.  A good polyurethane or softer gel (pricey) butt pad and possibly a padded shooting vest will do much more good.

You can also purchase Winchester Feather lites at wally world to start working her up to stronger loads.

FWIW, my wife just doesn't like the muzzle blast of the shotgun.  She shot it for a while, but I doubt she ever will again.  I had the pad, dead mule, and loaded lighter-than featherlites.  

Wasted effort for me.......
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:54:06 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Guys, I'm trying to get my wife more comfortable with the 870 we keep.  Recoil is somewhat of a problem for her in 12 guage (she's 5'6" and about 110 soaking wet).  Any thoughts on the available recoil reducers?  What I'm looking at right now is the new R3 recoil pad from Remington, and maybe a Dead Mule reducer in the buttstock.  What say you all?  Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Dave

My 120 pound wife shoots my 870 with 3inch buckshot when we go to the range.

Check here for a must upgrade for you 870
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:00:53 AM EDT
[#3]
What he said. Take a good look at the SpecOps Stock. It will solve the problem.

CaCrusin
www.knoxx.com
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:54:48 AM EDT
[#4]
The cheapest "fixes" are the Remington R3 pad and reduced recoil ammo.

Remington says their R3, (which is made by Limbsaver) reduces felt recoil by as much as 30%.

Lighter loads will reduce the actual recoil.

Of course a major factor in felt recoil is, does the gun FIT your wife?  
Stocks that are too long, or aren't properly fitted make the gun feel like it's kicking harder.

Other, more expensive options are the various mercury inserts for the stock, and shock absorber stocks.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 2:10:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:15:30 PM EDT
[#6]
O.K. - Here We GO - (AGAIN!!)

KNOXX recoil reducing Stocks are the BEST invention for shotgunners since S-E-X!!!

Yes, I feel THAT strongly about it!

You can shoot all day and feel good enough to play (No sore shoulder or bruises - (but hey maybe that is your thing if you are into the "Hurt Me - Hurt Me" scene!!)

Can't say enough good stuff about the Knoxx stocks that are on ALL my shotguns!!

best money I ever spent on a gun accessory (and if you knew how many guns and how many accessories I have purchased you would know what a GREAT statement this is!!)

If you get this for your wife, she WILL "love you long time".  It cost a bit, but you definitely get what you pay for with Knoxx!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:58:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I use the Knoxx Comp stock. A full length stock. As stated by others, I swear by them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top