Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2005 9:20:05 AM EDT
Currently in a 3 bedroom house, but would also like suggestions for when I move into a smaller place (apt. or townhouse).  Any and all suggestions are welcome.

I just bought my first shotgun.  I bought the Rem 870 18" Express Magnum w/ factory 2 shot mag extension.

It the bottom one on the page

Click me

Thanks in advance...
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:03:16 AM EDT
[#1]
In general, buckshot is the way to go.

In a house, a lot depends on the construction of the exterior walls, who lives with you (children), and how close the neighbors are.

Heavy shot like 00 will penetrate any wall including exterior walls that aren't made of brick or block.

This is risky for the neighborhood.

Most ANY shot will penetrate ANY interior wall.  Even light bird shot.

Some people advise using bird shot, and go on about how it "makes a big bloody hole" and "Is one solid slug at close range".

The problems are: Yes it makes a big bloody hole, but it's a big bloody SHALLOW hole.  Also, shot is NOT a "solid slug".
Bird shot simply fails to reliably penetrate deeply enough to be sure of reaching vital organs.
When that "solid slug" hits it simply fragments like the small shot it is, and fails to penetrate.
Bird shot quite simply lacks enough mass to penetrate deeply enough to reliably do the job, especially if the bad guy is wearing thick clothing.

You'll hear many stories about people killed stone cold dead by bird shot, but these anecdotal stories never cover the many cases where it fails.
A "gapping bloody hole" that MAY kill "eventually" is not something you want in your bedroom at 3:00 am.

For that reason, stick with PROVEN effective ammo, and that's buckshot in #00, #1, or #4.

A good many police departments and home owners have started using the newer "Reduced Recoil" loads.
These loads reduce the amount of recoil by either reducing the shot by a few pellets or by reducing the powder load.
As example, there are reduced recoil #00 buckshot loads that either have 8 instead of 9 pellets, OR keep the 9 pellets and reduce the powder charge.

One factor to consider is that the most ballistically "perfect" buckshot is #1.
It offers more shot and tissue damage than #00, but has better penetration than the small #4.

Bottom line is: Stick with buckshot, which will end the problem NOW, with no risk of a failure.
Choose a reduced recoil round which will allow faster followup shots, and has less penetration in walls.

Choose lighter buckshot like #1 or #4.

Simply be careful if you have to shoot inside a dwelling.
There is no "magic" ammunition that will reliably stop an intruder BUT won't blow right through interior and most exterior walls.
NO rifle, pistol, or shotgun round can do both.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:58:48 PM EDT
[#2]
good reply. i still have much to learn, so i'm just throwing this in the fire.  what about remington's hevi-shot bird load? from what little experience i have, it penetrates better than lead. i've never put a round of it through drywall, though. i'd just be guessing it would still be a better alternative to possibly reaching vitals while limiting penetration through drywall. just thinking of the kids.........h.gif
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:55:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:01:04 PM EDT
[#4]
That invokes memories.

Not to get all "anecdotal", but some years ago a local walking garbage heap was burgling a house one night when the owner's boyfriend came out of the bedroom with the ladies 12 gauge bird gun.

The boyfriend put a load of #6 shot right in the thief's stomach at about 8 feet.

He took off, and only got caught when he showed up at an area hospital with a MASSIVE infection of the sizable wound.

The wound was a non-fatal surface one and if not for the infection, he probably never would have been caught.

Some years later, after he got out of prison, he apparently upset someone else who was more careful.
He was found in a road ditch with 6 rounds of .38 Special in the same spot.
This time he stayed shot, as the old saying goes.

My idea of the "perfect" home defense round would be a reduced recoil load of #1 buckshot.
Unfortunately, all that anybody makes in reduced is #00 and #4, with the #4 being discontinued by most makers.

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 4:29:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks, all.  The local shop wanted to sell me 00 and #4 (not reduced recoil).  So I bought a small box of each just to test fire.  My shoulder is a little beat up this morning.  Course there was the .243 then the .308 then the #8 2 3/4" then #4 3".

Was fun though...
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:51:26 AM EDT
[#6]
I purchased a case of PMC Low Recoil 00 Buck for my home defense 870.  It does indeed kick a lot less, and I'm sure that it still hase plenty of effectiveness at typical in-house ranges.

The shot spreads out quite a bit more than other loads, such as Wolf 00 buckshot (which is good stuff).
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 2:02:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Where can you buy some #1 Buck on line???  I haven't been able to find any around here.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 3:29:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:41:22 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
www.northwestloading.com

Best place to purchase Hornady TAP 12gauge ammo. TAP is like Vang Comp in a box, it patterns so well. I use it exclusively in my Benelli and 870.

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:08:19 PM EDT
[#10]
00 buckshot is the way to go.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top